Guardian_Bob

MPG On Screen vs Reality

Mine is perpetually about 1.5-2 MPG less in actual miles/gallons at the pump... today was the largest difference I've seen as I filled up with 591 miles, Trip 1 (which I reset with every fill) said 52.7 however my actual was 49.03 however I packed the tank completely full and parked on slight incline (last fill was parked in very slight decline, so some air could have been trapped in part of tank)... so the car tends to be about 1.5-2 MPG optimistic on the display on the tanks as compared to the actual -- but I have also noted in 1 or 2 other threads on here somewhere, so was my last hybrid and the one before that.

Even at first click I always wind up with more gas in than the trip says I used. If you want real accuracy use a scan gaugeii. Once calibrated after 3-4 tanks each fill will be within .2 of a gallon. I used it on the first car, but its in the glove box of the Flex in case I need to tow something, so I can keep an eye on trans temps. I have no need to use it in this car, it does what I expect it to.

I hate filling the gas tank right to the top because invariably, no matter how careful I am, at some point it will overflow and drip down the rear fender. So I consistently fill the car until the first time it clicks off. I always assume that this happens at a consistent point. Is this incorrect?

Sort of, depends on temperature and fill rate. If you fill at the same pump every time, and at the same temperature, then the probability of a consistent fill is very high.

I know of one such station that has pumps that are inaccurate. I stopped to get diesel at this one station, and somehow managed to pump 7 gallons of diesel into a 6 gallon container.

The department of weights and measures(I think thats what they are called) comes out with a special trailer that has accurate measuring equipment. They fill up a container with graduation marks on it, and compare it to the pumps. How accurate they need to be to get the certification stamp, I dont know, but thats how they do it. I dont know what they do with the gas after they did their tests though.

Hmm just did a check, first one I came across was Texas. Apparently all you have to do is fill out a form and send it in with a fee to be certified. http://www.texasagriculture.gov/RegulatoryPrograms/WeightsandMeasures/Devices.aspx Doesnt say that they have to come out and test.

Edited by acdii