anguyen

2013 Fusion Hybrid 20 spokes rim made for Hybrid

I getting my 13' Fusion SE Hybrid soon with appearance package with 5 spokes. Just got off the phone with the other dealer and he said the 20 spokes are made for Hybrid purpose is to reduce drag on the wheels. I was wondering what kind of mileage your guys/gals get and what rim you have on your 13' FFH.

So if you can please post your mileage with your rim style, and size.

Aerodynamics? um, OK. Its spins around in a circle, and unless the spokes are shaped like a Propeller, I doubt they would have much impact on drag. Weight however is another factor. The heavier the wheel, the more power and torque is required to get them rolling. The Hybrid wheels are a lighter weight design than some of the other wheels offered, and mainly why a 19" option is not offered, it would impact fuel economy.

What I would do if looking at different wheels would be how much they weigh compared to the stock 17" wheels. Also compare the tire weights. If you keep both within the same weight range, and find a tire that has a low rolling resistance, then they will work just fine.

We my 2013 FFH 18" 5 spokes come with appearance package, hope it doesn't effect mileage much.

Going to fine out when we take a trip from Houston to Destin Florida next week.

A good aerodynamic wheel can be worth around 0.003Cd compared to an average wheel, though that can vary depending on how the airflow passes around the side of the car. It's not a whole lot, but it all adds up.

If you are going for speed records, every little bit helps, but for the average driver, that .003 wont be noticed. Get out the duct tape and tape over all the seams on the car, block off the grill, and watch the numbers climb though! There was something on powerblock a week or so ago where in Texas they have a drive as fast as you can event, and one woman in a NA camaro went 201 MPH. There were quite a few high MPH, one had hit 263 MPH, it was a 1 mile run. Most had taped over everything on the car to reduce drag.

AHH thats the secret, keep it long enough to get 150K on the clock. No wonder!! LOL, this will probably be the first car I keep long enough to actually see that kind of miles. I have had cars with well over 130K on them before selling them off, and had a 19790 LTD wagon that went to the scrap yard with over 300K on it, but I havent had a car with more than 44K on it for the past 6 years.

This is getting scary. I have a 1978 Ford LTD 2-door Landau with a factory installed CB radio. It's part of my collection.

I would love to find an old Ford wagon, maybe a 77 or 78 Country Squire that is in restorable condition. Those buggers had so much room and can tow a house, that you didn't need a stinking pickup truck. Seems like when I do run across one, they either ask too much, or I just dont have the cash on hand for one.