jholt26

Can't get above 42 MPG

I know my car can exceed 47 MPG, trouble is my daily trip to and from work is loaded with hills, and at least 3/4 of the drive is at 55 MPH. That alone cuts into the MPG greatly. The new Fusion is more affected by hills and high speeds than the previous generation, but if you can drive it in suburban traffic where the speeds are 35-45 MPH, and catch lights so you rarely have to stop, you can easily get 47 MPG or better. A lot also depends on how well you regen with braking. A low brake score mean you wasted a lot of energy that the ICE needs to make up.

After driving over 11,000 miles in the new Fusion, I am finding it rather easy to get mid 40's and above, sometimes surprising myself with higher than expected trips. It just takes time and patience(and a good working one) to get in the mid 40's, which is about where most of these will fall under average driving conditions.

My daily drive has been climbing now that I have the kinks worked out, got in with 46.8 MPG, and a 99% brake score. Would have been 100 if it wasnt for a short yellow light that netted a whopping 60%! That right there cost me the other .2 MPG for a perfect 47. It's all in how you drive the car, and when traffic and lights are in your favor, you can get exceptional gas mileage.

Do you let your car warm up for 10min prior to driving...

So, it's okay to warm up the car? Here's from the owner's manual.

There are also some things you may want to avoid doing because they reduce your fuel economy:

• Avoid sudden or hard accelerations.
  • Avoid revving the engine before turning off the car.
  • Avoid long idle periods.
  • Do not warm up your vehicle on cold mornings.
  • Reduce the use of air conditioning and heat.
  • Avoid using speed control in hilly terrain.
  • etc.

Turn off the AC, and open the windows. Makes a HUGE difference in mine. I see about a 4 MPG difference between driving windows down and windows up and AC on, just the opposite of my other car. When doing 65 MPH though AC on has little impact because the ICE can make up the difference of power draw when on EV.

If you live in rockford, try this. Go to 173 and Perryville and head east. Take that to Capron and do the speed limit and try doing as much EV as possible, with windows down. Keep battery between 25 and 75% charge for your EV cycles. let the ICE charge up while trying to maintain speed and keeping the instant above 20. This will take a lot of pedal practice, and alertness, but if you do it right, you should be getting between 46 and 50 MPG on this route in either direction. On Sunday I got 48 MPG going to Home Depot on this route, I took a different route back and got 46, mainly because of the hills on 76. Going south on 76 from 173 gets me about 46 too.

One other thing I can suggest, if you were to follow me and match what I do while accelerating, match my braking, then we could compare the results, which should help determine if there is a problem with the car.

Note, I should point out, my Fuelly only shows 41.8, yet my last tank was 45 MPG. With 2 drivers, I think the car is doing very well. Our trip to MN last week knocked it down a bit.

Edited by acdii