corncobs

Slow & Go vs. Constant Speed

In ICE mode, the drivetrain has about 5% loss, in EV, more than 20%.

Where did you get this. Have a link? Interesting, I would have thought it just the opposite .....

Just engineering. When the ICE is propelling the car, it is directly through the CVT gear train which has only a few percent loss. In EV mode there is the loss in the generator, battery charging, batterry discharging and motor. In the Gen 1 FFH this was about 30 %. Maybe it's a little better in Gen 2 with the LiIon HVB. This is why at higher speeds you want to avoid EV. At lower speeds the ICE becomes less efficient if it is run continuously and going to EV-ICE cycling is overall more efficient even with the EV cycle losses.

I recall a Ford engineer in an interview saying the EV mode was 70 % efficient. If you pulse and glide and modulate the pedal so there is no charging or discharging of the HVB, you will get 30 % more mileage. I have done this. You are avoiding EV mode in that way. Straight gears have always had only a few percent loss. The best electric motors and generators have about 5 % loss and the HVB charging and discharging each have about a 5-10 % loss so there's your 20-30 % loss for the EV cycle. Remember, in non PHEV HEVs, all the energy comes from gasoline and is produced at the output shaft of the ICE. How it gets to the wheels from there is the difference. In hybrids, the ICE is almost never run unless it is loaded up. The generator load is freguently higher than the motive requirements at lower speeds. Ford gamed the EPA tests by having a higher EV speed but perhaps with the consequence of lower economy in the 45-60 mph normal driving range. I wish someone would do a level road stable conditions comparison between the mileage at 60mph where EV cycles and 65 mph where it wont. Energy wise, the mileage at 65 should be 3 mpg. worse but I'll bet it's the same or better.