acdii

Deer are SO Dumb!

Last night on the way home, a deer had just crossed the road and was safe on its way to the next field......until the stupid sumbitch saw me coming in the Flex, paused, waited and then spun and jumped out right in front of me. Busted up the right front of my Flex. Knocked that stupid thing down the road and then ran over it's head, bet for sure now its dead.

SO now my poor car needs a new headlight, grill, lower grill, and whatever guts are behind the bumper as well as a bent fender and hood.

Man Deer are SO fricking dumb.

Going to cost me $500 deductible, and there is at least $1200 or more damage done. The headlight assembly alone is probably $600, since its HID, and completely shattered.

Ouch! Sorry about your FLEX ... That's why we have insurance, right ? :)

Yeah, problem now is since I have only had the new insurance for a couple months, they need proof of sale on the Flex. I didnt call a police report on this mainly because its out in the middle of nowhere, it was 11:30 at night, and was too tired to care. Besides, police wouldnt be much help after the fact, the deer was dead and the damage was done. I sent them a copy of the bill of sale so no just waiting for the claims adjuster to call to make arrangements to inspect the damage. The worse part is we are planning a trip to MN July 2, and if parts availability is a problem, we are screwed.

Can you describe the deer? Yes sir, it has busted clear plastic on its left hind quarters, and tire marks across its skull.

I'm assuming you're going to have your friendly dealer fix it for you? Do they have loaners for collision repairs?

Yeah - they'll give him back his first hybrid as a loaner. We had a similar incident when my wife had her Escape Hybrid...

Here's the attacker, and a pretty good size one (it was knocked out, or wind knocked out of it, or whatever -- a couple minutes later it got up and ran off into the woods):

Deer_31Oct09_zps3e37093a.jpg

And here's the "it doesn't really look that bad" damage that was $4,200 in repairs. This was in late October, and the body shop told us that 75% of their business at that time of year are 'car vs deer' hits.

Escape_Deer_Hit_zpsa80777d7.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

I got an idea on what the headlight itself cost, and it doesnt include the bulb or ballast, $800, bulb and ballast add another $300. $1100 right off the bat and that doesnt include the body work for the hood and fender, and grills that need to be replaced. I also looked at it in day light, and the bumper is creased too, so that will probably be replaced too.

My wife drove that road it happened on today and no deer but she said lots of blood, so, me thinks it bled out on the road.

It did not suffer long, I made sure of that.

Going to drop it off tomorrow at the body shop and they are sending an adjuster to inspect it, hopefully I can get it back by next weekend. We would take the Fusion, but no room for luggage for 5 people for 4 days.

Got the estimate today, $3400, and there may be some unseen damage behind the light, grill or bumper that they wont find until they get it apart. Hoping they can get the parts quickly and can have it back by next weekend.

Nice, were it not for the Flex being all black I would give that really good consideration! :) I just happen to like the Flex being all black, and would like to find a way to get that back aluminum panel blacked out.

Speaking of Flex, got the estimate hard copy, so far total cost is nearly $4000. Hard to believe when the only damage you see is the busted headlight until you look closer and see the wrinkles. They are replacing the passenger side fender, not fixing it like I assumed they would. The bumper skin is being replaced, and whatever got smashed behind it, the only thing being repaired will be the hood. A lot of parts got busted up, and they may fond more after they get it apart.

Well this blows. The headlight they got was busted, so they are waiting for a replacement. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow, then I will have to cancel my trip next week since I wont have the Flex to drive there in. There isnt enough trunk space to put our stuff for 5 people, and it would be cramped. I already know that the mileage will be poor too since I have already traveled with 5 people in the car and it really hurt the miles, I can feel the car struggle with the weight. I would rather get 24-26 MPG and be comfortable than 30 and be cramped.