jeff_h

The DTE Is Just An Estimate... and Varies

I noted in another post that I've seen my Trip1 elapsed miles (which I reset each fill-up) combine with my DTE to be over 700 miles on a couple occcasions... and as the tank burns through, it gets more toward reality and settles around 600 or so for the tank. Last fill-up was 601 miles, the one before that 591, the one before that 594.

So today I took some pics of the Trip1 elapsed along with the DTE (about 100 miles in is when it seems to feel the most ambitious, for whatever reason) - and as has been discussed, the DTE is based on your recent MPG history. In the manual for my 2010 it said it was based on the past 500 miles, but I don't see a number stated in the 2013 manual. But from the below, I tend to think the DTE number is calculated based on the past X miles but is weighted heavily on the very recent MPG. My example is below.

With odometer at 13,926 miles - Trip 1 had gone 121 miles,

Trip1_1_20130529_zps7e0c157f.jpg

...and has 593 miles left (total of 714 miles) which I think is a big number by any account.

Remaining_1_20130529_zpsad9c0481.jpg

But then, after going down a long downhill with a lot of regen braking, with odometer at 13,930 miles - Trip 1 had gone 125 miles,

Trip1_2_20130529_zpsb4f6ce20.jpg

...and has 647 miles left (total of 772 miles) which is a LOT more, especially after just 4 miles later!

Remaining_2_20130529_zps8dd0ad5e.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

I had a crown Vic that could go 30 miles past zero. It was not very accurate.

I have My View set for DTE and Engine Temp. 98% of the time I display Engage, but it only takes pressing the down button twice to get to My View to see DTE. I rarely use most of the tech features that are available. Having Sync read a text message to me earlier this week just by pushing one button made me feel Iike Capt. Kirk on the Enterprise.

This is the same as I do, which is keep it on Engage and then arrow down twice to check DTE. However I like the feature of sync reading text messages, my wife and I like sending goofy texts and listen to the sync lady speak them out. And BTW, if someone sends a :) icon, the sync lady pronounces it out as "happy face" and I think the :( she pronounces out as "sad happy face"...

But back to the DTE, one day later and it's back toward reality, I think the total is now around 620.

Can't these cars go ~60 Miles past zero?

Potentially, though I don't want to run it dry... farthest I've gone past 0 was 30 miles and it took 13.2 gallons to refill the 13.5 gallon tank.

Can't these cars go ~60 Miles past zero?

Considering my first Vic smoked the trunk wiring from running the pump dry, did not want to take that risk again.

OK so here is how that tank ended up. I checked status last night and I had gone 420 miles and it showed 230 miles DTE. I knew I was going to the client site today so with going there and also to the office, it would be about a 200 mile day.

It didn't start well, steady rain and heavy traffic and 5-car accident on I-95, so once again I took 'the long way' and even though a couple weeks ago I got 57 MPG going that way, today I found that the new "Battle of Manassas" is one with a whole lot of traffic lights and stop-n-go (so I guess I was standing there like Stonewall Jackson). So it was a bad start to the day and 2hr 50min to get to the office, with MPG far less than the 57 I got a couple weeks prior.

Trip_44_3_20130603_zps2a9dbbc1.jpg

So then after just 30 minutes at the office, it was on to the client site (up near fastronaut's place), and unfortunately I had a scheduled meeting so couldn't wait until rush hour was all done... turns out traffic was just slow enough to yield good MPG, but not so slow as to keep the HVB SOC around 15% where it cycles on and off every 30 seconds as you inch along in traffic (so for those that spend miles in the city and get so-so MPG, this bud's for you), I think that was one of the causes to the lower MPG above since it was endless ICE cycling to get the SOC just above minimum.. but anyway, on the second leg of the day with the rain NOT falling and traffic manageable, this was a much better MPG trip! (1hr 40 min)

Trip_61_1_20130603_zpsd6f06bdd.jpg

Then the way back from client site also yielded good MPG, a nice and smooth ride with 100% brake score. And under an hour!

Trip_56_3_20130603_zps4d61b45e.jpg

So then it was time for the last leg of the day to head home (60 miles), and according to the display I should have just enough to get home - here's the DTE and Trip Summary at that point, with 60 to go.

Trip1b_20130603_zps93549275.jpg

Trip1a_20130603_zps70b04607.jpg

Well I made it, went 4 miles past 0 DTE (as opposed to 11 to spare at the start of last leg, but it was pouring rain and hydroplaning, etc), here is how it looked when I got to the gas pump, which is a far cry from the 720 or 772 or whatever huge DTE number I got the other day.

Trip1c_20130603_zps6948ae33.jpg

Above display said 12.28 gallons and 51.5 MPG when I got to the pump... actual numbers from the fill-up were 12.481 gallons and 50.71 MPG. Not as good as the display, but I've always found it to be a tad optimistic. Traffic still stunk coming home, 2hr 10min since there was again pouring rain (49.3 MPG), but that's why I've been adamant about getting just the car I want since I spend so much darn time in it.

So then once filled up, let's see how far it says I can go on THIS tank. We shall see....

DTE676_20130603_zps1fbacb11.jpg

In our cars I've added 2+ gallons more after the first click without the fuel level going over.

Not always, as the last time I got gas (not yesterday, the time before that) I kept topping off since it does get difficult to complete the fill-up, as you noted. I stopped clicking when gas came out of the filler tube, so I said 'yep it's full now'... though I didn't do that yesterday but came close, so if I really wanted I might have gotten another .2 or .3 gallons in there, but I didn't want to make a habit of watching my money flow onto the ground and gas onto the paint, so that one time was it for topping off until it could take no more.

Added - was parked at the pump slightly uphill... not any significant grade, but enough to assist with drainage, like the crown in a road. Also, when it first clicked I took the nozzle fully out, then clicked 2-3 more times, nozzle back out, then 3-4 more clicks.

Edited by jeff_h

We aren't talking about major grades, just slight inclines. I've also always filled up on the slowest setting. Maybe next time I'll try filling faster and then slow down

Exactly - I think if you look closely, you may find that many pumps are on a grade just slight enough to have rain water drain off, yet not to the extent that a gas spill would quickly run all over the place. I've noticed several of my area stations seem to be this way, and for the sake of refueling as long as the grade is enough for the air to escape then I suppose that's enough.

Most stations I go to have a concrete slab where the pumps are and asphalt surrounding it. The Concrete is level, but the asphalt slopes away, so I park the car to the front wheels are on the asphalt which will put the nose down just a little,