Former Expedition owner

What happens when the key's battery dies

I have a HyTi with push button start.

Let's say I am attending a sporting event that is a three hour drive from my house. I drive to the venue, park in the lot, press the lock button on my remote as I walk into the stadium to watch the game.

Hypothetically, let's say that when I pressed the lock button on my remote, it used the last bit of stored energy in the key battery.

When I exit the sporting venue after the game at midnight on a Sunday, I press the unlock button on the remote and nothing happens. The key battery is totally dead.

I know I can pry off the handle and use the actual key inside my fob to open the door. However, how do I start my car in order to drive home?

I'm thinking I should buy a spare key battery and keep it in my glovebox for just such an emergency.

I don't suppose there is a way to start the vehicle with the dead battery in the key, is there?

Use the keypad on the door pillar to unlock the car.

If you do it with the metal key the alarm will go off and you will have to enter your code to cancel the alarm.

Once in the car locate the slot in the left front of the console storage area.

Put the key in the slot with the key ring up and buttons facing the rear of the car.

You will now be able to operate the car normally.

Sounds like Ford may have put a "passive" RFID tag inside the FOB for just such a contengency (read by a near-field reader in the center console). Anyone want to pull their battery out and give it a try? ;)