Fastronaut

Fusion Hybrid Mobility Kit - The Good, Bad and Ugly

I know there have been several threads pertaining to using a real spare in the Fusion Hybrids, but I'm concentrating on the use of Ford's actual Mobility Kit.

I've heard rumors that using the can of sealant that Ford provides causes loss of your TPMS sensor. People have sworn this is the case; however, I went to my dealer Service Department and they told me that Ford would warrant the TPMS and replace it if anything like that happened due to use of the Ford provided product.

Wal-mart sells Fix-A-Flat that is marked "Safe for TPMS" sensors, but that's not what Ford is using evidently.

Has anyone had the opportunity to have to use the Mobility Kit yet? What happened?

Edited by Fastronaut

There is some discussion on other Forums . I think the Ford Tire Mobility Kit will work just fine in certain circumstances.

Your Dealer says the Warranty will take care of replacements, I wonder if a Dealer in another State will have such a great attitude.

Maybe you need that reassurance in writing, or pointed out to you in the Warranty, so any Dealer will honor that warranty promise.

The Sealant can't be used for a sidewall blowout.

I elected for the pain in the neck routine and cost of buying a spare tire approximately the same size as my 18" wheel/tire.

The TMK is in a cabinet in the garage, along with the trunk's wheel well foam insert. The trunk looks the same, my mind is at ease.

FFH Owner Guide, Page 273:

After sealant use, the tire pressure monitoring system sensor and valve stem on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer.

There is some discussion on other Forums . I think the Ford Tire Mobility Kit will work just fine in certain circumstances.

Your Dealer says the Warranty will take care of replacements, I wonder if a Dealer in another State will have such a great attitude.

Maybe you need that reassurance in writing, or pointed out to you in the Warranty, so any Dealer will honor that warranty promise.

I elected for the pain in the neck routine and cost of buying a spare tire approximately the same size as my 18" wheel/tire.

The TMK is in a cabinet in the garage, along with the trunk's wheel well foam insert. The trunk looks the same, my mind is at ease.

After sealant use, the tire pressure monitoring system sensor and valve stem on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer.

Haven't really investigated the purchase of a spare, but does a full size spare actually fit in the well set aside for the TMK? Is there a place to secure a temporary doughnut? MY Fusion is at the Ford dealer getting some minor paint issues corrected.

No, a FULL-sized spare doesn't fit, it is too big for the wheel well. It also depends which size wheel/tire you have, I have the 18".

I wanted a spare that was as close to the 18" diameter as possible, yet thin enough to fit the trunk's tire well (minus the foam insert) perfectly and I figured it out.

You'll need to get a Jack too.

This is what I have in my trunk:

QTY - FP NUMBER DESCRIPTION

1 - CV6Z-1015-B T16" x 4" WHEEL ASSEMBLY

1 - 9002-0340377-000 T135/90R16 tire, Continental

--

If you just want the standard Fusion Spare tire for the 17" wheel/tire, look here.

This Standard setup works but is 2.5" smaller in diameter than my 18" w/t so I ended up with the larger tire, but same wheel as noted above.

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace the TPMS and valve stem? Sounds pricey

$175 for 4 wheels, so divide by 4.

From Tire Rack

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$156.00 for a quantity of 4

Optional Chrome Metal Valve
$19.96 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $175.96

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace the TPMS and valve stem? Sounds pricey

Here's one for $61.50.

http://www.tpmsdirect.com/FORD_FUSION_TPMS_s/483.htm

I read somewhere that Ford charges $125.

Get a can of Fix-A-Flat or Slime 16 Oz. Quick Spair.

They both are TPMS safe.

The tire will have to be dismounted, cleaned, and permanently patched anyway so why destroy the TPMS and have to buy a new can of goo for the kit.

The pump has an air only mode so don't use the goo unless the leak is too fast to drive anywhere.

Edited by murphy

Mostly, TPMS damage comes from the non-surgical way tire jockeys break the bead and dismount/remount the tire. There's not a lot you can do to control that. The goo at least gives you an option to get somewhere civilized.

No, a FULL-sized spare doesn't fit, it is too big for the wheel well. It also depends which size wheel/tire you have, I have the 18".

I wanted a spare that was as close to the 18" diameter as possible, yet thin enough to fit the trunk's tire well (minus the foam insert) perfectly and I figured it out.

--

If you just want the standard Fusion Spare tire for the 17" wheel/tire, look here.

This Standard setup works but is 2.5" smaller in diameter than my 18" w/t so I ended up with the larger tire, but same wheel as noted above.

Thanks for the information. Have you actually tried using the tire to see how the car reacts? I have 18 in hers on the HyTi.

Edited by dalesky

Thanks for the information. Have you actually tried using the tire to see how the car reacts? I have 18 in hers on the HyTi.

Sorry, that Thread is so darn long that is makes the solution hard to find.

Maybe I should start a second Topic with just the results and part numbers.

Edit: the post about driving with the spare installed is here

:) Thanks Neod for the 'Share' info! I'm always learning something.

Edited by GrySql

Post # 67 here.

Sorry, that Thread is so darn long that is makes the solution hard to find. Maybe I should start a second one Topic with just the results and part numbers.

You can share that post directly instead of the page - just click the share button next to the post # to get the URL: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6163-spare-tire-for-fusion-hybrid/?p=49626

I had a flat tire this Sunday, an hour from my home. I was incredibly shocked to find a mobility kit and no spare, this was not disclosed to me. Here is the information on the mobility kit. The instructions are semi complicated there are two hoses, one for the sealant, one for inflation. The sealant canister can only be used once. Replacement cost $24.99 Yes, it even says in the instructions that it may damage the tire sensor and the sensor should be replaced after use. Apparantly, the sensor replacemnet under warranty is decresionary at the dealer level. My dealer said I would have to cover the cost. I had sidewall damage to inside sidewall, still trying to figure out how that happened when I didn't hit anything and just turned a corner. The mobility kit did not work. I had to call Ford Roadside Assistance. (FYI) will only tow you to a dealership. It was Sunday night dealerships all closed, and Ford RA wanted to charge me $800 to tow me to my house. Needless to say, I called a separate roadside assistance company and paid $99. The next morning, I had to be towed to the dealership. It took two days to get the tire because it is some rare size only made in Canada. Tire $156 luckily covered under first year warranty.

Ford Service Department and Two Tow Truck Driver explained that the sealant is useless on any hole bigger than a nail. I would look into a spare tire, or really good roadside assistance. Also, expect to be without your car for several days (3 days for me). Oh, the parts department at my dealership does not stock the sealant canisters. It had to be ordered, another day goes by. I left the dealership 3 days later with a new tire, no spare and a non-functional mobility kit.

As far as I am concern the mobility kit is useless. I don't think I or anyone should have to be without a car for 3 days because of a flat tire!

--

2 questions.....where did you get this at?

and....what about a jack....guess i havent even looked to see if we got a jack!

It's from his own research and he has it in his car and no you didn't get a jack.

It's from his own research and he has it in his car and no you didn't get a jack.

I realize that....i was wanting to duplicate his setup .....so....i would like to take his given part numbers and use them....but doubt if they are universal and work at FORD,,, OREILLYS.....AUTOZONE....ect...

I had to call Ford Roadside Assistance. (FYI) will only tow you to a dealership. It was Sunday night dealerships all closed, and Ford RA wanted to charge me $800 to tow me to my house. Needless to say, I called a separate roadside assistance company and paid $99. The next morning, I had to be towed to the dealership.

I re-newed my AAA membership on the advice of the tow truck driver who towed us from Key Largo to a Ford dealer in Homestead, Florida after a puncture to the front left tire sidewall. He pointed out that Ford would only cover tows to a Ford dealership and that many times he's forced to ask for cash on a second tow. My wife insists that we get a spare tire and jack before we go on a road trip again with the 2013 FFH. I consider this incident the "1st strike". Also, to my chagrin the RA operator who took my call couldn't understand that my new car didn't have a spare tire and was reluctant to order up a tow.

Edited by mokee

According to my dealership, The 2013 FFH can fit a fullsized spare in trunk there is a foam insert that is removable. The Dealership will have to order the rim, tire, jack, wrench set, and the trunk mounting bracket. Total runs around $520.

As for the doughtnut, and I don't know how accurate this is, I am beginning to wonder about my dealership's credibility. Ford did not make a doughnut for the 2013 FFH. They also change the lugnuts and the bolt configuration so that a 2012 doughnut will not work. Do your homework before you buy.

Get what at? The info or the equipment?

There is a link on that page to the whole sordid story, all 90+ posts.

I condensed the whole thing into that Pinned post about spare tires, with links.

• The info I researched, tested and used. Others added important information, it was a cooperative effort.

• I had my Dealer order the wheel and tire. Others bought from Tire Rack or Ebay, or both.

• I bought the Jack from Ebay, others did too.

Your car did not come with a Jack or spare tire.

Ford does not list those things on the FFH Ford Parts website.

To answer another question, Kaleido simply bought a '13 Gas only Fusion spare tire/wheel and Jack - it worked.

Interesting discussion about this. I haven't been driving long, but I've had 1 flat tire in 9 years of driving. I'll take my chances. For me the cost and time investment to buy a doughnut spare and then the space that it would take in the already small trunk are too great to be offset by the potential savings of a future hassle/expense of getting a flat and having to replace the cannister & TPMS sensor out of pocket. It's all a matter of your risk adversion. In this case I'm not risk adverse and thus I'm not buying a spare now but will stick with the mobility kit. I completely understand the perspective of those who are uncomfortable with it though, as I'm on the fence but for now am deciding to stick with the mobility kit.

We'd be curious to know what the rim part is for that and the exact tire you'd use.

You didn't say, but do you have 17" or 18" (or 19"?) tires on your FFH.

Having the "Frankenspare" in my trunk, I am pretty sure some full-size spare would likely

fit. At least diameter-wise. But the width/thickness of the tire would cause the trunk cover to

either bulge out or at least not lie flat with a full size spare.

There is little extra diameter room from the Frankspare, but no thickness to spare.

Frankenspare = CV6Z-1015-B + T135/90R16 tire, Continental

Interesting discussion about this. I haven't been driving long, but I've had 1 flat tire in 9 years of driving. I'll take my chances. For me the cost and time investment to buy a doughnut spare and then the space that it would take in the already small trunk are too great to be offset by the potential savings of a future hassle/expense of getting a flat and having to replace the cannister & TPMS sensor out of pocket. It's all a matter of your risk adversion. In this case I'm not risk adverse and thus I'm not buying a spare now but will stick with the mobility kit. I completely understand the perspective of those who are uncomfortable with it though, as I'm on the fence but for now am deciding to stick with the mobility kit.

Yes, and you've driven across the USA and Canada so far without incident.