Kwilli

Top speed during break in?

Just vary the speeds for the first 1k miles, dont hold a steady constant speed during that time, and that is all. Keep it under 100.

Well, you can always ride in the back of my Flex! Pretty sure I can get it to 140 once I disable the cutoffs.

The engine needs to vary its speed for proper break in. If it turns at a fixed speed it will develop a wear pattern that can cause it to not seat the rings properly, and start to burn oil. The only thing that really gets broken in are the piston rings, and valve guides. The bearings have that thin film of oil that prevents wear, so no wear develops there. Varying the speed changes how the rings move in the cylinder walls. Mainly break in is to seal the cylinders properly for a long life. On the Hybrids though, as things move over time, they loosen up and move freer, and along with tire wear, you will see a slight increase after 10-15K miles, then when you replace the tires, you will see a slight decrease until they wear in.

Hope that helps explain it.

Oh thats easy, just dont drive 65 MPH, instead drive, 55-70-60-65-70. Vary your speeds on the highway. Same in city driving, dont hold a constant steady speed for any long period of time. If you take a 500 mile trip and set the cruise to 70, thats is what they dont want you to do. Vary it instead.

However, in the Hybrids, the constant speed thing isnt as important since it uses a CVT which already varies the engine speeds. The thing is though, break in takes longer since the engine doesnt run all the time.

As far as piston travel, they may be going up and down, but there is also some side play involved from the forces of the expanding gas. When under hard acceleration, the explosions are more intense and force the piston in a direction opposite of the point of ignition. In some engines, the spark plug is off to the side, so the bottom of the piston is forced to the opposite side of the cylinder, but at a steady rate of fire, like when cruising, the piston is centered in the bore. When you decelerate, the piston can move to the opposite wall. In center fire engines, which I do believe these engines are, the force of the explosion is dead center on the piston, so there is very little side play involved, The rings seal the cylinders, and the pistons float inside them and ride on the rings. When you wear in the rings properly you get a good seal that lasts a long time. If you constantly hammer on the engine during break in, you can offset a ring or too, or worse, break one, and the engine will start to burn oil long before anything else wears on it.

It's something like that. This is part of the reason that Ford can't make up their mind on the true break in period. Everyones drive will vary, and since there is more time when the ICE is not running, that just means it takes longer to meld all its parts.

I wouldnt worry too much about it with the Hybrid. Try keeping it below 75 for the first few hundred miles, after that, just drive it.