smr2112

Notes & Question from Recent Price Negotiation

I was at my dealer today negotiating a price for a new 2013 HyTi as we call it here ;0 !

So I told him what I wanted and he located a car coming soon to a dealer nearby

with same color and options. I said I'd wait for my factory order. Anyway, he priced

it up, but when he printed it out, what he actually gave me was the dealer pricing

from a nearby dealer that had that same car. It listed the dealer and was not

the window sticker. It had all the pricing (X-Plan / Invoice / Holdback).

2013 FFH Titanium (Sterling Grey) + Active Park + Nav + Adaptive Cruise + Moonroof

So it also had $554 Advertising Assessment and $47.88 Fuel. Did we decide

if these are real charges or not? I assume so because everything else about

the invoice he printed matched up. But those extra charges only appear in

the Invoice column, not in the MSRP column. If I happen to pay MSRP, that

includes those fees I guess, otherwise they hit you for it.

Weird, he wouldn't look up my name for the Direct Cash offer because he said

it would have expired, but my wife who doesn't own or want a Ford got one, and

he found that.

I wonder if he priced it fully from Vincent as a new car, would those extra charges

disappear. Or was what he gave me from Vincent? Did he do something kind

of sneaky on me.

He told me - if I ordered today - any rebate available today, including the direct

cash offer ($750) - I'd get when they place the order now. If it happened to go up, I'd get the

higher. So I always thought I would only get what is available when the car arrives

if I factory order. So surprise...he said this changed to be locked in with order about

1 year ago.

MSRP: $37715

Invoice Total: $35310 (includes the advertising + fuel) - this would be my cost

A/Z Plan: $33924

D Plan: $34024

X Plan: $35445

Holdback: $1108

So my cost would be $35310 - $750 (Direct Cash) - $500 (Rebate for Hybrid) = $34060

Perhaps this will help somebody else. Don't be afraid of being stingy with your own money!

I was very conservative on what I wanted for my trade, but

ultimate I didn't buy because he was too low on my trade, and I figured I'd wait (he ran

out after me and said he'd try and get me more tomorrow). He'll probably

call me tomorrow or I'll try another dealer.

I ran those numbers through the loan calculator and it seems thats about what mine will cost minus the active park(including the cost), so looks like I will be getting a decent deal too.

So it also had $554 Advertising Assessment and $47.88 Fuel. Did we decide if these are real charges or not?

Below is some info from http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html

Advertising fees:

Sometimes buyers look up invoice prices on Edmunds and find they don't match the invoice price given by a dealer. Is the dealer trying to put one over on the buyer? Not necessarily. This is probably because an advertising fee is involved. If an advertising fee is listed on the car's invoice we consider it a legitimate fee that should be paid. However, if the advertising fee is written into the buying contract by the dealer it is another example of a dealer trying to pass along his expense to the buyer.

Although, an advertising fee on a car that is ordered? Questionable as I see it.

Well, this is why I asked the question about these fees. I thought he might have pulled a semi-fast one on me

my not going of a full quote from Vincent. If I ordered from factory, does that fee show in the Vincent

pricing? Or is it just included in the invoice price? Somebody who has ordered this way should know.

I agree this fee is legitimate, is it really on all cars? Seems like if it's on one, it should be on all.

With the amount of Ford commercials I see on TV, seems like somebody has to pay for this.

I guess advertising costs are included in every product, just very few call it out as a line item.

Still a very good deal he gave me without much hassle...I was below X-Plan and he acknowledged that.

Was interesting to see the holdback on that. Looks like 3-4% (is that based off of MSRP?)