elle

MPG Happy Talk

Morning cold start raining and flooded roads and 4 car accident

20130603_053115.jpg

eVening no traffic going 60 - 70 mph

20130603_203201.jpg

My hypothesis after the last tank is that the tank design is causing gas pumps to shut off early and we're never actually filling the tank all the way. That is why our cars are really out of gas after only using 10-12 gallons while C-Max owners are able to drive 13+ gallons and their DTE hasn't yet hit 0 miles. I believe this shows that the DTE is fairly accurate and that our cars are never getting a full tank. But this discussion belongs in one of the threads about tank size, and not MPG Happy Talk

Sorry I didn't mean for this to derail this thread and I didn't expect for it to take over the convo.

OK, well, maybe not as good as others, but considering only 110 miles and still getting used to the different pedal feel and techniques, Respectable.

993085_549721931736612_468140051_n.jpg

I have a feeling this car will be doing MUCH better than the last one, I wasnt even trying to hypermile it today, in fact I was doing over 60 at times just because I didn't feel like playing the Hybrid game. Check out that brake score though! For my commute that is REALLY good!

OK, well, maybe not as good as others, but considering only 110 miles and still getting used to the different pedal feel and techniques, Respectable.

993085_549721931736612_468140051_n.jpg

I have a feeling this car will be doing MUCH better than the last one, I wasnt even trying to hypermile it today, in fact I was doing over 60 at times just because I didn't feel like playing the Hybrid game. Check out that brake score though! For my commute that is REALLY good!

Congrats acdii on your new Fusion finally getting here and it definitely looks like you will be getting some great mpg! I did not start getting numbers like that for several hundred miles.

Congrats acdii on your new Fusion finally getting here and it definitely looks like you will be getting some great mpg! I did not start getting numbers like that for several hundred miles.

It will take a while to get used to the different pedal feel in this one, and the fact that it doesn't always run on ICE. The 2010 was TOO easy to drive at 55 and get good MPG, this one needs more attention to excel in it. On the 10, once at speed, it was really easy to feather the throttle and keep the bar above 40 while maintaining speed, but this car doesn't work that way at all, so I have to retrain myself again. At least this one doesn't feel like it has a drag shoot on its butt when I take my foot off the gas! It is also easier to brake, actually the brakes are more sensitive on this one, and I find myself hitting them a bit too hard at first, but I am getting a better brake score than in the other one. So far, so good!

I am actually quite happy that it isnt blue!

Another good result for my morning commute. Started with the ICE warm (that sounds funny), 61 degrees and sunny and almost a full battery. I have also dropped my cold tire air pressure to 37 psi to see how it effects my mpg. So far it really doesn't seem to be much different but I can definitely notice and improvement in my ride quality.

My house until the bypass (interstate speeds) is 5.3 miles and my mpg up until that point was over 70 mpg. Obviously as I got up to speed it dropped pretty quickly and was as low as 41 on the interstate. I was able to recover it to what you see by the time I hit the office as the last stretch of highway is 55 so I keep it 60-62 so EV will kick in where it can. This definitely tells me that if I had a shorter mostly city commute I could very easily obtain some of the high numbers I see others posting. By no means am I complaining however as 42-47 mpg average that I can achieve on my commute is still pretty dang good!!

20130604_072036.jpg

Edited by gadgetguy

I like when I move the car out of the garage to move stuff around and then move it back in.

999.9mpg

Wow only 61.1 mpg how can you live with that lol.... That's terrible hahaha..

Seriously that's some awesome mpg!

It's funny because now I'm disappointed in trips that are under 50 MPG and for certain routes I'm disappointed in anything under 60 MPG lol I'm always taking pics :camera: of my trip summaries because I love the stats :stats:

Trips from Sunday. Lifetime MPG is up to 43.2 now. Two tanks ago it was 41.9. Lifetime Brake Score is up to 99%

null_zps7c730945.jpg

null_zpsdd047f89.jpg

null_zpsb2b06306.jpg

null_zps8a17000e.jpg

null_zps8ef00172.jpg

After Sunday the tank average was up over 55 MPG. Yesterday and today my wife has been driving so I'm sure it's dropped. I won't drive again until Thursday night so I hope she hasn't done too much damage to the gas mileage while she's been driving all week

Edited by hybridbear

It's funny because now I'm disappointed in trips that are under 50 MPG and for certain routes I'm disappointed in anything under 60 MPG lol I'm always taking pics :camera: of my trip summaries because I love the stats :stats:

You are an mpg addict lol...

I think we should just ban hybridbear from posting in this thread. It makes me want to pull my hear out because I can't achieve those #s :rant2: and I bet I'm not alone ! lol :shift:

He has taken MPG obsession to a whole new level and is giving Prius owners a run for their money.

Keep it up!!! :)

Shoot, I bought the car budgeting everything for getting no better than 37 mpg. I should be posting every trip on here since I'm happy with every one of them. I'd be flooding the thread with otherwise unspectacular numbers, but darnit, it makes me happy.

Hybridbear should make a video so we can verify that he is actually driving all the way himself not that it's pulled like a horse carriage. ;-)

Or his model trains. :)

Hybridbear should make a video so we can verify that he is actually driving all the way himself not that it's pulled like a horse carriage. ;-)

Or teamed up with Coach and has the athletes pushing the car around.

It will take a while to get used to the different pedal feel in this one, and the fact that it doesn't always run on ICE. The 2010 was TOO easy to drive at 55 and get good MPG, this one needs more attention to excel in it. On the 10, once at speed, it was really easy to feather the throttle and keep the bar above 40 while maintaining speed, but this car doesn't work that way at all, so I have to retrain myself again. At least this one doesn't feel like it has a drag shoot on its butt when I take my foot off the gas! It is also easier to brake, actually the brakes are more sensitive on this one, and I find myself hitting them a bit too hard at first, but I am getting a better brake score than in the other one. So far, so good!

I am actually quite happy that it isnt blue!

There's no feathering these 2013 Fusions. my Camry was the same way as your old Fusion, reach your crusing speed and let off the accelerator slightly, and see the instant MPGs between 40 and 60. The 2013 Fusion is different and I have not found that the old techniques work well with it. If you figure it out, let me know :)

There's no feathering these 2013 Fusions. my Camry was the same way as your old Fusion, reach your crusing speed and let off the accelerator slightly, and see the instant MPGs between 40 and 60. The 2013 Fusion is different and I have not found that the old techniques work well with it. If you figure it out, let me know :)

So it isnt just me who thinks this is the case. Good. It looks like the only time it can be like our older Hybrids is above 65 MPG with a full or nearly full charge. Thats what I discovered on the other 13 before I got rid of it. If I take this one on the interstate I will see if that still is the case.

I got it, Hybridbear borrows that beautiful #261 4-8-4 Loco and Tender and has found a way to harness the 110V power to have it assist pulling the FFH.

image-6-11.jpg

Way to go Hybridbear.

Here's my commute this morning. For some reason I felt like I was tailgated all the way to work and didn't go as smooth as I usually do. Still happy with 47.6 MPG.

IMG_20130604_083346.jpg

I finally hit the 50 mpg barrier, geez!

I can routinely get upper 50's and low 60's when doing short 3-5 mile trips with a relatively high SOC (that doesn't count to me), but this is my normal commute from work where I usually get 44-45 mpg.

Maybe the tides are turning, or maybe this was just an anomaly.

IMG_5436_zps1a8d56a2.jpg

Edited by Riggo