elle

MPG Happy Talk

You know what just crossed my mind after looking at the 64.1 in your '10 again; it's probably the result of the cleaning and polishing job you did over the weekend.

neod192's must be returning off the charts mileage after his polishing job !!!

Yeah, thats the ticket, slips right through the rain!

to work yesterday temp in the upper 50's

20130528_053117.jpg

from work temp in the lower 60's and raining sitting in bumper to bumper traffic

20130528_193942.jpg

Best one to date for my daily drive to work!!!

934075_547316135310525_1616575659_n.jpg

I just know that if I put new tires on this will drop like a rock!

Best one to date for my daily drive to work!!!

934075_547316135310525_1616575659_n.jpg

I just know that if I put new tires on this will drop like a rock!

I doubt that. As long as they are not off road tread lol...

If you saw what is left of the tread, you would agree too! :) Racing slicks have more tread :shift:

If you saw what is left of the tread, you would agree too! :) Racing slicks have more tread :shift:

Hahaha well it's definitely time for some new shoes lol.

I will let the next owner deal with that. One more week is all I have left on this one, provided of course the new one is perfect.

My morning commutes are starting to yield some very good and consistent results! This is this mornings commute which started out with about 1/2 charge, mid 60's with air on and typical 60-75 mph speeds for most of the drive.

20130529_070119.jpg

The only really strange thing is that compared to yesterday's results the miles traveled is identical and the gallons used is identical. I had more EV miles and 1/10th less regen miles today but 3/10's less mpg?? Kind of strange...

I will also say that my afternoon commute home yesterday was much different. Yesterday afternoon I only averaged 39 mpg home mainly because the amount of ICE time needed. The AC was draining the battery so fast to cool off the cabin that it could't be used much for EV and I started out with the battery at about 1/4 charge. I even rolled down the windows to evacuate the hottest air. Once the cabin cooled the draw was back down to normal but the ICE ran so much early on that it couldn't recover the mpg average. I will take the penalty however because 85-90 with high humidity doesn't work for me lol...

I will let the next owner deal with that. One more week is all I have left on this one, provided of course the new one is perfect.

Exactly what I would do!

Morning Commute

I still have some work to do.

So the navigation EcoRoute is just insane. It is trying to add an extra 5-10 miles, over a bunch of hills, using the three worst roads in the area (in terms of accidents). When I took a different route, it didn't re-route automatically (or I didn't wait long enough).

I'm still working out the best way to get to and from work. But I've found that I'm following the speed limit more, much to the dismay of other drivers. Sure I've added 5 minutes to my commute time, but given I'm saving about a $1.60 in gas for those 5 minutes, that works out to something like $20/hr extra I'm not paying for.

The adaptive cruise control is awesome for my drive. I can't believe I went this long without it.

Average commute home for me in rush hour. I guess I got one of the good hybrids.

20130529_170339.jpg

Edit: I meant to say...

That's not 47mpg! I want my money back!

Edited by kuzzi

I'll be curious to see how all of us who are getting 40+ regularly do once the cold weather hits. A lot of us didn't get our cars until it was warm so I'm not sure if we are getting a true reading of the mpg. I hope we are though!

I'll be curious to see how all of us who are getting 40+ regularly do once the cold weather hits. A lot of us didn't get our cars until it was warm so I'm not sure if we are getting a true reading of the mpg. I hope we are though!

Oh, I have no doubt that we'll get low 30's in the winter :) Think of 47 as a summer or FL average.

Took a short trip from LAX to Santa Clarita today. The following shots are going and comming, at 09:00 and 13:30 respectively. A/C on both directions. Outside temp hi 70"s F. ACC set at 65 MPH. Typical LA traffic in the morning stop and go between LAX and the 10 FWY, then clear to Santa Clarita. On the way home traffic clear from SC to LAX. The thing is this, it's the same average mileage that I got from my 3 years of driving to work in SC with my 2010 FFH, daily 41.25 MPG. With my 2010 I didn't use CC as it was confventional, just too much hassle in LA traffic the ACC is a great advantage. The ACC holds the speed going downhill by applying brakes, where the 2010 using CC just keep speeding up going down steep hills. Going to SC is generally up hill and back to LAX is downhill the difference in MPG. I know one time doesn't make an average but the same numbers as my 2010, just too much a coincidence, maybe not.

I have a feeling when this MPG thing is all worked out we'll find out that it's the individual driving syles/habbits that will be the tell all. I know when I go to Home Depot, when not in a hurry my mpg is 42. When I'm in a hurry and need something fast and need to get back home, my MPG is 29. Just my thoughts.

image-7-1.jpg

image-6-5.jpg

Todays commute to work temp in the low 60's

20130529_053328.jpg

Commute home temp in upper 70's

20130529_190111.jpg

Todays commute to work temp in the low 60's 20130529_053328.jpg

Commute home temp in upper 70's 20130529_190111.jpg

Lilly sure is breaking in nicely!

So yesterday, I-5 south @ 65 MPH I was somewhere between 40 and 60 on the instant graph. (Fairly flat.) It was lower to mid 60s.

This morning same stretch but going north, I was below 40 on the instant graph the entire way. It was about 50 out.

Not sure if it was the temperature or there's a slight incline, but it sure seems like there's something going on. Overall I'm comparing 41.8 on the way home yesterday to 40.3 on the way to work today. Yesterday to work was 41.0 and the temperature was 55. Most of the climate stuff stays off unless I need it to defog the windows (mainly in the morning).

Oh, I have no doubt that we'll get low 30's in the winter :) Think of 47 as a summer or FL average.

In our unusually cold MN winter we got about 40 MPG for the entire winter. A few tanks dipped into the 30s when the temp was well below 0, but for the most part we stayed around 40 MPG. This is right in line with what lolder has calculated, a 2 MPG drop for every 10 degree Fahrenheit drop in temperature below 60 degrees. At 60 degrees we're seeing about 50 MPG. At 10 degrees (50 degrees colder) we were seeing about 40 MPG. This proves true what lolder has told us. At 70-80 degrees I can get 50-55 MPG. When we had a few weeks below zero the MPGs dropped from low 40s to mid 30s. That being 70 degrees colder than the 60 degree benchmark and we saw our fuel economy around 14 MPGs lower than we see at 60 degrees.

All my numbers above are tank averages, not individual trip results. Right now in the summer you can get a baseline for 60 degrees, your optimum is probably in the 70-80 degree range (or whatever the warmest exterior temp is where you do NOT use AC) and thus predict what will happen in the winter. If you do a lot of shorter trips you may see your winter MPGs drop more than 2 MPG per 10 degrees below the 60 degree baseline. If you do mostly longer trips your winter MPGs should drop less than 2 MPG per 10 degree decrease in temperature.

This is from yesterday afternoon. I'm almost done with my 1000 mile challenge. The 1000 mile average currently sits at 53.9 MPG. I'll hopefully be able to post that soon in that thread :) Likely with a new record LOW speed average over those 1000 miles

null_zpsed823fb5.jpg

I have achieved another personal goal which was getting to 50 MPG on my way home. The much slower traffic during a for me later rush hour did probaly help a bit ;-) I drove home a bit later than usual so I hit the real bad stuff.

FD7AD45A-2C2E-4F1B-AB24-DB3539979945-316

I have achieved another personal goal which was getting to 50 MPG on my way home. The much slower traffic during a for me later rush hour did probaly help a bit ;-) I drove home a bit later than usual so I hit the real bad stuff.

FD7AD45A-2C2E-4F1B-AB24-DB3539979945-316

That's awesome! I have an almost identical result from this afternoon as well. I will be posting a pic as soon as I get off mobile.