acdii

Blinking Engine light, not good.

Pulled out onto a highway from a stop, and while accelerating, felt a stumble and a rumble, and then what I assume is the CEL, looks like an engine, was blinking. It went on for a mile or so, then went out, then I slowed and turned and accelerated again, and it came on blinking again, and now its off, couldn't get it to come on again on our drive home.

Considering my 2010 was a first year Hybrid, and had zero issues with it related to being first year, I was confident that Ford could continue the trend with this years model, and it doesn't appear that to be true. Between the mediocre gas mileage and now this at 4500 miles, wondering if I made the right choice.

I have to wait until at least Wednesday before I can take it in, again.

I've only experienced this twice in my 2010 FFH, both times was when I really stomped on the gas hard, and a huge puff of smoke came out the back and I thought I blew the engine up (there is a thread or two ib this either here in the Hybrid Forum or in the Fusion Forum)... did you ever experience that in your 2010? How hard were you on the gas when this occurred in the 2013 FFH?

Below is from page 109 of the manual, appears to be the exact text that was in the 2010 manual, I wonder if this is what you experienced?

If the light is blinking, engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and have your vehicle serviced immediately by your authorized dealer.

Edited by jeff_h

Well I didnt have my foot to the floor, maybe halfway, and not over 3K on the tach. It fits though cause that is what it felt like. I ran through the ET screen and no codes are present, so wont do much good bringing it in without diag codes.

Well no longer blinking, now its on solid, and the dealer is closed until Wednesday.

The CEL is usually an emissions problem or a vapor leak. There's no fuel cap but you might run a fuel nozzle in and out of it a few times. The regen drag you report doesn't sound right either.

Well my dealer had a discussion regarding my car. According to the service manager, Ford is telling him there is nothing wrong with my car. So apparently the 2013 Fusion Hybrids are supposed to foul the plugs! WTF? I guess you also have to drive it granny style to get at or near 40 in it. Looks like this just might wind up under Legal.

Going to give it one more shot before I call in the big guns. I am considering finding a place that can test the emissions on a dyno to determine if they are in specs or not. Since Ford is incapable of doing this. If I am right and that is gas I smell in the oil, it wont take long to grenade the engine either.

My 2010 FFH is also a Job1. Never had a problem and it got in the 40's this week.

Hi all,

Got a '13 Fusion Ti Energi about a month ago, and 2 weeks ago I had the same problem while accelerating on to the freeway. Although the CEL blinked for about 10 seconds and went away - seemed odd and I chalked it up to the car being new (about 300 miles at the time).

I primarily drive in EV mode so it looked like the problem went away. Unfortunately, it happened again late last week and this time the light stayed on. Took it to the dealer (now with 700 miles on the car) and they replaced spark plugs and other things to clear the light but the engine still seems to be misfiring. I now have to wait for them to call Ford on Tuesday to troubleshoot it.

ACDII - did the problem with your car get fixed? I'm a little concerned about it reading through this thread.

Thanks,

Vinny

I no longer own that one, so dont know, but the one that replaced it has been trouble free. When mine started acting up, it did the same thing, but performance was noticeably affected. It eventually got a solid check engine that turned into a misfire code. All 4 plugs were fouled badly. That was with 4500 miles on it.

When mine failed, it felt like the car was struggling to move, felt under powered.

My 2010 FFH has two different small sized chambers connected to the air intake tube. Neither has any wires going to it so they are passive devices. Atkinson ICE's have a large amount of intake noise because the intake valves close late in the compression stroke and charge is blown back into the manifold which is more easily heard because the throttle plate is usually very open. I wonder if wrapping sound deadening foam around it would help. Ford probably would have done it if it helped.

I dont think I have looked under the hood of this one to see if it has that chamber or not.