Ask them to extend the warranty to 10/10,000 bumper to bumper.

The Fusion hybrid is on the leading edge not the bleeding edge IMO - glad to hear about the black box (sorry its needed at all) but when problems crop up at least we don't hear it will be fixed next model year so tough it out for now (if you can get them to admit there is a problem in the first place) not sure how end users could apply software updates without a trip to the dealer, via the OBDII port, use sync ? (hopefully how to best supply updates is being thought about)

I don't consider the FFH a buggy computer with an engine, wheels and seats attached to it. (it's a funny line though :)) there hasn't been all that many updates, no show stoppers - not trouble free but what is ?

There has been one software update on the brakes that was not a mandatory recall and another TSB for the instrument panel random mode reset. The mode reset caused no drive-ability problems and they may still be refining that TSB which I suspect is the motivation for the black box request.

I'd have to say that based off of my experience...all ranting and raving at the time aside.....this is one heck of aa admirable thing to do. It really shows the commitment by Ford to make sure they can identify these issues and have solutions or at the very least answers for people. I've owned quite a few vehicles in my day...actually more than I care to name but I can say that 90% of those vehicles have been Fords. (Honda accoubts for the remaining 10%). What Ford ended up doing for us, a few other things we've seen lately and with hearing this gesture......I'm very happy to say I'm a Ford owner.

I'm not the only FFH black box participant. I will try to see if the Ford engineer will tell me how many participants there are here in Phoenix and in the US. Then I'll post it here if you're interested. I'm so proud of Ford for making a come back in these bad economic times. It's looking like we're going to have some gas price increases soon. Then I'll be happier with the car. It's the perfect town car. I could just do without all the electrical poltergeist stuff. I have had the car for nineteen months and 14,000 miles now.

Yesterday, I got a call from Morepace with the same offer. They asked me a few questions to make sure I was keeping the car for a while, and then explained the Black Box, the $150 + $150, and will be sending me the details to participate. I have an appointment in early February at a not-too-local dealership to have the box installed.

I have close to 18,000 miles, have never had any problems other than one "reset", and have had the brake re-flash.

So, lets keep in touch with this one. We know at least two people that will have the box. Maybe. I too, was told I would meet with a Ford engineer.

BTW, this is in New Jersey.

I also have opted to participate in the black box study

Have any of you already had the "Black Box" installed?

I was wondering 2 things... How did they connect it to the car? (ODB-II plug?) And did they tell you exactly what kind of data they were going to be capturing?

My appointment is for next week.