Sign in to follow this  
abajian

Engine Start Override

I took my Fusion in for an oil change (non-dealer). After adding the standard amount of oil and replacing the filter, the mechanic tried to start the engine in order to circulate the oil and fill the filter. Obviously it wouldn't start and he asked me if there was an override to allow starting the engine when it is warm. He said he knew how to do it for the Prius. Can anybody answer this one?

Simple :headspin:

From the Service Manual:

Engine Running Diagnostic Mode

The engine running diagnostic mode is a powertrain control module (PCM) strategy which is separate from the normal operating strategy. When in this mode, the engine is running and does not turn off, as it does during normal operation. The engine RPM may be increased to the desired speed as the vehicle is in the pedal follower mode. To activate the engine running diagnostic mode the gear selector must be in the PARK position, and the ignition cycled to the START position. The engine is allowed to idle as long as the powertrain and hybrid-electric systems operate within the calibrated limits. The powertrain malfunction indicator (wrench) flashing once per second indicates the vehicle is in the engine running diagnostic mode. This mode is helpful whenever the engine must stay running for diagnostics and repairs that require the engine to be idling for extended time. Carry out the following sequence to activate this mode:

•  
  • apply the parking brake
  • place the gear selector in the PARK position
  • ignition in the OFF position

NOTICE: Do not start the engine.

•  
  • ignition in the ON position with the engine OFF
  • within 5 seconds of the ignition in the ON position, fully apply the accelerator pedal and hold for 10 seconds
  • within 5 seconds release the accelerator pedal, shift the gear selector to the DRIVE position and fully apply the accelerator pedal
  • hold the accelerator pedal fully applied for 10 seconds
  • release the accelerator pedal and shift the gear selector to the PARK position

If the sequence is correctly executed the powertrain malfunction indicator (wrench) flashes once per second when the gear selector is shifted to the PARK position. The engine may be started by cycling the ignition to the START position. The PCM exits the engine running mode when the gear selector is shifted to any gear other than PARK, when the ignition is turned to the OFF or ACC position, or the powertrain or hybrid-electric system exceeds calibrated limits.

Good luck. I have not tried it.

I use this one quite often. Start car. Leave it in park. Depress accelerator 3/4 way. So long as you press, ICE runs. Perfect for what you need.

Jon

Well, I gave it a try (numerous times) without success :banghead: . Very careful with my timing and was never able to see a wrench symbol. Has anyone actually performed this rather convoluted procedure with success?

Worked like a charm, and couldn't have been much simpler. Thanks.

Michael

Ha! :beerchug:

Michael, Jon is absolutely correct! KISS - Simple is always better.

I knew there was an easy way to force the engine to run, but I wasn't sure exactly how simple it was.

I just got the service manual on CD from Helm, and found this interesting way. (There is also a way to get it to stay in "Start" or "Crank" mode). Now you made me go out and try it myself to see if it works. I got in on the second try, and then found a couple of tricks. First, as the instructions say, DO NOT START THE CAR. If OFF is position #1, ACC is position #2, RUN is position #3, and START is position #4, be sure to only go to position 3. Also, I found it is far smoother to hold my left foot on the break pedal so I could shift to Drive and back to Park smoothly. Once you have enabled the diagnostic mode and have the flashing wrench, then you have to START the engine. Oh, you should not wait the 5 seconds. After the first 10, I took my foot off the accelerator, shifted to Drive, and immediately floored it again.

Why would anyone want to go through all this when all you have to do is just press on the accelerator, like Jon said? First, because it is there. But really, the important reason would be if you were working on the engine and needed to force it to run after you take your foot off the pedal and get out of the car to work under the hood. With Jon's method, as soon as you remove your foot, the engine is free to go back into EV mode. But I like the first reason better. In the service manual there are all kinds of these neat tricks.

Enjoy your Hybrid..

Rich