Sign in to follow this  
rfruth

What is this II

On the bottom of the spare tire holder (outside the car) there is a shoe box size black box thing, what is this ? (parked next to a newish SE today, it has the same thing)

I never noticed it when I dropped the spare tire to install the bicycle rack trailer hitch.

could it be the special funnel to fill the gas tank if you are stuck along side the road?

could it be the special funnel to fill the gas tank if you are stuck along side the road?

The funnel is located inside the trunk on the right side behind the liner. It's white plastic and about 6" long.

Hi rfruth,

It's called the Vapor Canister by Ford. What's inside? Check out the Ford parts manual and look under fuel system and then storage.

-mort

Is the vapor purge control valve for the canister located in the same area or is it in the engine compartment?

Edited by FFHdriver

post-6645-022021300 1289100864_thumb.jpg

Hi FFHdriver,

The knot of spaghetti with the triangle notation is part number 9A228 called "Fuel Vapor Tube And Valve." That's on the fuel tank I didn't find any other vapor valve.

-mort

Sorry, I meant to say vapor purge control valve if it makes any difference. I think this valve might allow vapors from the canister to go to the intake manifold and be burned.

The vapor canister, stands to reason, thanks - my next question was going to be about the smallish box in front of it that i now know is some kind of vapor valve & tube doh.gif