allen84

so who's been driving like a grandma, ever since getting this car?

You're not alone. I too am obsessed with trying to get the last mpg out of every trip. But I enjoy it, and love all the mpg feedback. If I had all this feedback on my Mustang, I would go nuts, because it would tell me what a hopeless gas guzzler it is. On the Mustang the only feedbacks I notice are rpm, mph, fuel pressure and manifold boost.

I am definitely driving like a grandma now. This car has completely changed the way I drive. I used to be the guy doing 80-90 in the fast lane, now I plod along in the far right lane with the cruise control set at 59.

I am constantly monitoring the mileage; just about everything I do is calculated to stretch it out.

But what I really appreciate most is how much less stressful it is to drive slowly. Driving fast all the time is a *really* stressful way to live your life.

So slow down, and CHILL.

Yes, I too am 'guilty' (if you can really allude to 'guilt') of driving a little more like 'grandma'. To more accurate, I've been driving far more conservatively than ever before. Up here in Canada, now that colder weather has set in (we've had nights well below freezing), it's taking its toll on my economy, but I'm still doing whatever I can to stretch the numbers.

If nobody is in my rearview, I accelerate slowly, and gradually... try to keep it in EV mode as long as possible! Also, I've been using cruise extensively to 'drive-by-wire' and build my speed on the highway in increments (merge safely, then use the + in three-tap intervals every couple of hundred yards or so).

I really wish they would add a feature that would allow you to download performance data to the USB port, so that you could analyze it on a PC!

This is my first 'real' post on this forum, really looking forward to picking up some tips, info, or just read some interesting stories everyone may have to share!

Cheers,

R

There is some information, including recommendations from Ford, that acceleration should be done moderately with the ICE. You'll notice that the cruise control "resume" uses about 2 1/2 to 3 units of power to accelerate. The ICE is efficient in that range. If your HVB is over 1/2 charged and your accelerating to a speed below about 35 mph, using the EV is probably desirable

Edited by lolder

I'm just not sure anymore whether trying to make mpg is worth it or not. I mean..... I get between 38 and 44 consistantly even if I romp on it to show the any number of arses' or local Delbert D.Butts in trucks that are trying to drive over me because I'm trying to be more conservative than most. By the way that's conservative with my money......but by that point it's worth the drop in 2-3 average mpg points just to see the look on their face when you get to the next light.

The FFH may not be able to get the hole-shots or grab a gear like I once enjoyed so much but when you get those squirrels and hamsters all wound up.......the car is too much fun to "granny" around all of the time.

Edited by oldschool1962

I'm sure most of you people on here has their driving habits changed ever since getting this car, trying to achieve good numbers on the info display on the dash.

sometimes i wish, there was a way to turn off all the info on the dash, and just keep the fuel tank and engine temp. only visible, is there a way??

Yes, me too on driving generally slower, though I get from A to B at very much the same time as previously when I owned a fun to drive Maxima w/ 220HP. I have to say though, this car has trained me to drive what I like to think of as smarter. It's really obvious now, especially in city traffic, people 'hurry up and wait' all the time, whereas I am have trained myself to keep moving at a pace that prevents needing to brake by timing the lights just right. I do pulse n glide when it makes sense (which is only rarely, since the Fusion lets you 'tease' it into EV easily), and frequently people will pass me and I find them stopped at the next traffic signal.

My best sustained long term average is 45.8mpg, however this is in the optimum ambient temp of the summertime here where I live. Once it gets colder, I'm down to 41.x since the HV battery is just not as efficient then.

I splurged for the nice stereo option, now I don't feel half as bad about driving slow with some nice beats to roll to. ;)

Ditto here: I REALLY enjoy the Sony audio and use it w/ a USB drive, and satellite radio.

Since I turned 21 or or so my nickname could have been the Right Lane Cruiser, oh I like Rockin' down the highway (Doobie Brothers) but it no longer involves traffic court