Sign in to follow this  
Back2Ford

High voltage battery gauge question

My fusion is still on it's first tank of gas and I have noticed that the battery voltage gauge often reads full and is never below the halfway mark. Is this normal? I thought it was supposed stay around the half-way position. I am a bit concerned about this.

When I was on the freeway today and the car made a 3 tone (I think) alert sound for about 10 to 15 seconds. I couldn't see any warning anywhere and it stopped before I could pull over. Should I be concerned about this?

That's unusual. If you're in a warm area, start the car, leave it in "P" and turn on the AC. The AC should run 10 to 20 minutes with the ICE off as the HVB discharges to a little above the "L" on the HVB gauge. The ICE then starts and runs for about 3 minutes and charges the HVB to about the level of the teminals on the little battery picture and then the ICE turns off. This cycle should repeat. The chime sounds like a Message Center Activation Chime and a message should have been displayed on the left side of the dash display.

The HVB usually only gets full with regenerative braking or a HVB reconditioning event. The reconditioning event might last a half an hour but then the HVB should go back to 1/2 charged. It is possible that a reconditioning event has occurred and was unsuccessful and a message was displayed. Reconditioning is rare and usually occurs after several thousand miles. I have had one at 8000 miles and I'm at 19,000 now. You may need to contact the dealer. This is the first such incident reported here. It may sort itself out.

Weird. I wonder what condition would cause the computer to throw a "tighten bolt" code...

Jon