Sign in to follow this  
FFHdriver

Non starting condition

My wife said she tried to start the car and nothing happened. Turned off the key and tried again and nothing. Third time it started and everything was normal. She checked to make sure it was in P. Of course it started every time I tried it. . Dealer said no codes were set. A transistor was asleep some where in the computer????

Two times in the last 13+ months I have turned my key to start then back to run position (as usual) put the car in gear but nothing happened, I looked at the dash & the service engine soon light was ON (some call it the check engine light) all other lights were off ((the green car with the arrow under it was on I think, wish I knew for sure but don't)) - anyway turned key to off then without removing it back to start/run (as usual) and everything was okay, just figured one one of the sensors didn't return the all okay signal.

Two times in the last 13+ months I have turned my key to start then back to run position (as usual) put the car in gear but nothing happened, I looked at the dash & the service engine soon light was ON (some call it the check engine light) all other lights were off ((the green car with the arrow under it was on I think, wish I knew for sure but don't)) - anyway turned key to off then without removing it back to start/run (as usual) and everything was okay, just figured one one of the sensors didn't return the all okay signal.

If the yellow engine symbol was on, the green car symbol was probably not on and that's why the car didn't move. Why the green light was not on is puzzling if in fact you turned the key to start far enough and long enough. It doesn't seem to require in my experience but a very brief time in start. It takes somewhat longer for the light test to complete and the dash display to appear. If the start was not accomplished, the test completes and the dash displays but the yellow engine symbol remains on and the green car is not displayed. We'll have to watch this further.

Edited by lolder

If the yellow engine symbol was on, the green car symbol was probably not on and that's why the car didn't move. Why the green light was not on is puzzling if in fact you turned the key to start far enough and long enough. It doesn't seem to require in my experience but a very brief time in start. It takes somewhat longer for the light test to complete and the dash display to appear. If the start was not accomplished, the test completes and the dash displays put the yellow engine symbol remains on and the green car is not displayed. We'll have to watch this further.

my wife had the non start problem 3 times and finally told her next time don't touch it and let me see. She called me to the garage and there was no green light. I twisted the key to start and all was well. I showed her how she did it and each time the check engine light came on because she didn't twist it to the start spot. She hasn't had the problem since.

my wife had the non start problem 3 times and finally told her next time don't touch it and let me see. She called me to the garage and there was no green light. I twisted the key to start and all was well. I showed her how she did it and each time the check engine light came on because she didn't twist it to the start spot. She hasn't had the problem since.

My wife has read all the replies and she now says it may well have been that she didn't turn the key far enough. Will see if this happens again.

With conventional cars, there was feedback that you had turned the key far enough by the sound of the starter engaging and the ICE starting. With the FFH, the only indication is the green car icon which is admittedly not prominent. The light test and panel display proceeds in the same manner except the yellow engine light stays on if you didn't accomplish a "start". I don't think we have a problem. You know in the early Prius days, their dealers got complaints that the car stalled at stop lights. (Maybe that's Urban Myth).

Okay before I say it was operator error on my part (probably was) the owners guide says to turn the key to start then release it & thats what I do, it doesn't say how long you should keep the key in the start position (sometimes its just for a fraction of a second, not quite long enough) finger.gif

MARKETING dropped the ball on that one. Their design goal was a hybrid that did everything (including the starting sequence) just like a "standard" car. The engineers met the design goal. I think that marketing screwed up by not going with keyless ignition.

Jon

The only major complaint I have about my hybird is that we have a key at all, and especially that we have to turn it to "start" like we're starting a regular car!!! The engineers dropped the ball on that one, we should just have a On/Off button and a keyfob like the "other" brands.... walk up to car with your FOB in your pocket and it unlocks, get in and push the On button, I like that idea....