Buster1

Fuel Top Off - Overflow!!!

I was filling up the FFH today and decided to top off the tank a little after the automatic nozzle shut off. When I did, a bunch of fuel came shooting out from underneath the car! It made a 2 foot puddle around the left rear tire. I hope this is normal and there is some kind of overflow valve or something. I suppose that is the case to prevent fuel from backing out the filler port.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, I did the same thing...exactly once. Same puddle underneath. Yes, nice overflow control system FMC employed to keep us from getting doused with fuel when we don't do what the manual says. :stop:

Jack in Ohio

Yes, I did the same thing...exactly once. Same puddle underneath. Yes, nice overflow control system FMC employed to keep us from getting doused with fuel when we don't do what the manual says. :stop:

Jack in Ohio

Same here - made the mistake once, got the same 2-foot puddle, and that's all it took to not top off that car anymore (like I've done with other cars for many years).

Thanks to the easy fuel no cap fuel system when the pump clicks off the first time thats more than enough for me shift.gif

The same thing happened to me, except I ended up with a massive spill. I was filling up at a very ghetto Shell gas station and the nozzle wouldn't shut off and kept continuing to spill fuel everywhere. Not only did I get a puddle underneath, but it actually spewed back out of the nozzle as well. However, I normally don't even bother trying to top it off once it clicks off on its own as I noticed that there is very little room to put more in. On my Focus, I used to try adding upto another $1 worth of petrol after the initial click off.

Edited by junehhan

It's probably designed that way so it doesn't gush out the filler into your face. Also the neck is a close fit because of the capless design. The evaporative emissions controls in these cars are extremely complicated. That's one of the reasons the ICE starts when you turn the car "on"; to check that system.

Edited by lolder

If you look at the fueling compartment, you'll see the vent appears to be in the bottom part of the fitting. This must open during fueling for fumes to be retrieved by the nozzle in areas where that is required. It must close when the nozzle is removed. That area is drained by a rubber tube that is evident behind the rear wheel. They don't want the tank overfilled (expansion, etc.) or liquid fuel to be recovered by the fueling nozzle. Nothing is simple or unplanned anymore. This car goes so far on a tank there's no point in topping off. If you went off the interstates on a long trip and drove under 50 mph, you could go over 800 miles! That's 16 hours at 50 mph!!

HINT: Never, EVER top off your tank. It will backflow into the Catalytic Converter which will cause damage to it, which can cost upwards of $1,200 to repair/replace! Thieves are now focusing on stealing either the Catalytic Converter OR the steering wheel airbag. The airbag costs $1,000+ and thieves sell them for upwards of $400 each. Again, don't ever top off your tank. I had a 2009 MKS that, when topped off, would only register as having 3/4 tank full. As I drove, the fuel level gauge went S L O W L Y from 3/4 full BACK UP TO FULL! So, you can seriously damage more than one electronic system on your car.

HINT: Never, EVER top off your tank. It will backflow into the Catalytic Converter which will cause damage to it, which can cost upwards of $1,200 to repair/replace! Thieves are now focusing on stealing either the Catalytic Converter OR the steering wheel airbag. The airbag costs $1,000+ and thieves sell them for upwards of $400 each. Again, don't ever top off your tank. I had a 2009 MKS that, when topped off, would only register as having 3/4 tank full. As I drove, the fuel level gauge went S L O W L Y from 3/4 full BACK UP TO FULL! So, you can seriously damage more than one electronic system on your car.

You are kidding about the overflow, aren't you? LOL

I found that funny as well. The converter IS part of the emissions system and so is the recovery canister. Maybe as part of some systemic failure a sensor would malfunction when the fuel backs up through the vent line and causes the engine to run way lean and start to damage the converter - but it is a long shot.

Here in Minnesota we did actually have a couple of thieves ( caught and now in jail) that were crawling under cars in the commuter parking lots and using a hacksaw to remove the converters. It didn't take long for the police to start parking down the street and watching for people crawling under cars. I doubt they only hit cars with overfilled tanks though :>

Jon

I think he meant evaporative cannister.

I think the owners manual says only two more clicks after the first one to prevent against accidental fuel spillage.

Thanks to the easy fuel no cap fuel system when the pump clicks off the first time thats more than enough for me shift.gif

I wonder how much a evap cannister for the FFH costs (no warranty if liquid is found in the can) ?