maroonhoo

strange revving with my hybrid while coasting

Change the display so it shows your RPM's and see if it is the engine doing it. Also check to see if the elec. motor is going up in power. If neither one seems to be the culprut, then I bet it may be your electric fan making all that noise. You have let off the gas which for the most part cuts either all or most of the power depending on if you are above or below 47mph and with all that quiet you can now hear your fan kicking in. On my motorhome when I let off the gas at certain temps and speeds the electric fans come on and it sounds like 3 more engines starting up and running at full power.

Maroonhoo,

I am certainly no expert with all things FFH or even automotive but something similar happened to me on more than one occasion.

I have a couple questions and maybe an answer for you.

Did this revving happen multiple times during the day or was it just isolated to a specific trip from point A to point B.? In other words did you put the car in park at any time and then back into drive?

Did this happen after you may have touched the shift knob and then disappear the next time you used the vehicle?

The reason I ask is because....believe it or not, you may have shifted the car into Low.

Remember that Low can be shifted into at any speed and once you start getting over 40 it sounds like a race car but you don't have the heavy drag that you would from being in a low gear like with a conventional transmission.

The next time this happens if at all....take a look at the gear shift and see where it is positioned.

If it is in low....there's nothing to be embarrassed about. Like I said It happened to me as well. Sometimes when I shifted from Park to drive or reverse to drive or even at a stop light. It's a fine line with only 2 positions in the shift lever and if you held on to the button a just split second longer than normal or grabbed the shift lever while driving or at a stop light.....it doesn't take much and it will fall easily into Low.

If it happens and the vehicle is not in Low......then maybe.....and remember this is an uneducated guess.....there is a problem with the switch that controls the gear shift position in relation to the ECVT. Mine was strictly on my part.

Hope this helps.

Edited by oldschool1962

Ditto. Had the *passenger" bump the shifter to low. Didn't notice until coasting. Check the dash indicator the next time you hear it. The shifter is just a switch in the FFH. The dash will tell you what the car thinks the shifter position is in. It is possible to have the shifter appear to be in D when the switch makes the computer think it is in L.

Jojn

Maroonhoo,

I am certainly no expert with all things FFH or even automotive but something similar happened to me on more than one occasion.

I have a couple questions and maybe an answer for you.

Did this revving happen multiple times during the day or was it just isolated to a specific trip from point A to point B.? In other words did you put the car in park at any time and then back into drive?

Did this happen after you may have touched the shift knob and then disappear the next time you used the vehicle?

The reason I ask is because....believe it or not, you may have shifted the car into Low.

Remember that Low can be shifted into at any speed and once you start getting over 40 it sounds like a race car but you don't have the heavy drag that you would from being in a low gear like with a conventional transmission.

The next time this happens if at all....take a look at the gear shift and see where it is positioned.

If it is in low....there's nothing to be embarrassed about. Like I said It happened to me as well. Sometimes when I shifted from Park to drive or reverse to drive or even at a stop light. It's a fine line with only 2 positions in the shift lever and if you held on to the button a just split second longer than normal or grabbed the shift lever while driving or at a stop light.....it doesn't take much and it will fall easily into Low.

If it happens and the vehicle is not in Low......then maybe.....and remember this is an uneducated guess.....there is a problem with the switch that controls the gear shift position in relation to the ECVT. Mine was strictly on my part.

Hope this helps.

Really? I always thought that driving a car in low gear at high speeds in regular driving conditions (i.e. not particularly hilly) caused the trans or engine unnecessary wear and tear. Is that no longer so, or is what you're describing a special feature of the FFH?

It won't hurt it. No point in doing it longer than necessary for the test. There's never any wear on this transmission. All you're doing while coasting is turning the engine faster with the transmission at essentially no fuel flow for compression braking. Go to the second display mode "Enlighten" to observe the RPM. It's higher in "L" coasting. "L" will also let you go into EV after you coast during warm up before components reach temperature as indicated by the thermometer bulb turning green in "Empower " display mode. I guess this is to limit ICE rpm when cold. After the bulb turns green, "L" does the opposite and will INHIBIT EV mode while coasting. The difference in ICE rpm between "L" and "D" is related to how much throttle you are calling for. At moderate or greater acceleration, there is no difference. At cruise at 50 mph, D yields 1400 rpm and L, 3000 rpm. If you're going down a hill in L it goes even higher as opposed to 0 rpm (EV mode) or about 1100 rpm if above 47 mph in D. This is a very clever car. Prius calls this mode "B" for braking I guess.

I'm sure this was your noise.

Edited by lolder