joeyc1960

ThrottleContrrol/Powertrain malfunction

Has anybody had the Throttle Control/Powertrain malfunction warning light come on..Went on vacation and the light came on..I shut the car and 15 minutes later the warning light came on again..the light is a picture of a wrench..

Owners Guide says contact your dealer as soon as possible.

Are the replacement pumps louder quieter or about the same, can you tell ? (No problem, just curious - I hear a small electric motor run for a few seconds every so often in mine but assumed it was for vacuum pressure, not sure why ((its not the ICE cooling fan)) need window down and radio off to hear either)

They have to okay a rental unless you have voided your warranty, been doing smoky burnouts at the drag strip ?

redcard.gif

November? What? Are they insane?

The electric coolant pump is running all the time. It is pretty quiet. It circulates coolant to the DC/DC converter, the motors, and the motor controller. If you hear a buzz sound from the car it is either the A/C compressor or the auxiliary vacuum pump.

The car doesn't detect a coolant pump failure directly. It detects an overheat condition on the DC/DC converter first (thus the charging system error since this is the charging system). The DC/DC converter will shut down before it overheats.

Jon

Now the dealer is telling me my car can't be driven or further damage could occur and they have to wait for Ford to approve a rental. If they don't approve it, I will be without a car until November.

Now the dealer is telling me my car can't be driven or further damage could occur and they have to wait for Ford to approve a rental. If they don't approve it, I will be without a car until November.

You need to make noise up the chain of command of FMC. They should take a part from the assembly line before putting a car out of service that long. If they offer you an appropriate loaner, that should be acceptable. The vehicle warranty denies liability for loss of use of the car or for rentals. They do say it should be repaired within 30 days. They are right about not driving it.

So what is the powertrain involved here ? Hybrid, L4, V6 ?

This is the hybrid forum.

3 days now and no word about what they are going to do. I don't know what to do. I have called the manager at the dealership and left messages, but no return call. How can they leave me with out a car for 3 months? The car is only 4 months old and it's a hybrid. The wrench light was the original symbol that appeared on the car and that is why I took it to the dealer.

I assume you do not have the manuals and that you are in the US. Ford Motor Co. Customer Relationship Center is 1-800-392-3673.

16800 Executive Plaza Drive

P.O. Box 6248

Dearborn, MI 48121

You should have your VIN # and dealer information. You should tell this forum who the dealer is.

The Better Business Bureau (BBB) Auto Line program is at: 1-800-955-5100.

This is information from your Warranty Guide book.

Well i did get a loaner car today from the dealer, a Ford Fusion (not hybrid). Now they have found the part and it will be here hopefully within a week. I called a lot and this is what I got. I did have my warranty book, but it is unfortunate to know that a car with only 3600 miles on it can already have problems. What do I now have to look forward too. The dealer is in Long Beach, Ca.

These types of failures in industry are called "infant mortality" and they're sometimes due to random manufacturing imperfections, they occur at a certain usually small rate in new equipment. If there is a design flaw, the failure occurrence rates will be much greater and longer lasting in the vehicles. We don't know what this is yet. This and other forums are probably the best public early warnings of problems. The manufacturers usually know very soon but they keep that info pretty close to their chest until there's a recall. I'm aware of two of these pump failures in this forum. There appear to be over 7000 posters in this forum but it covers a lot of Fords other than the FFH. It is not a good statistical sample either as people with problems tend to arrive here and those without problems do not. I have had no problems other than shutting the hood on an open oil dipstick access door which fractured the engine cover. I repaired it with epoxy and Ford shortly after deleted the access door from later production vehicles.

This pump runs all the time and should be designed to be very durable and last "the life of the car". It shouldn't "wear out" soon. The Ford Escape Hybrid that's been out over 5 years has had some failures of this pump.

I had the coolant pump replaced when my Check Charging System Light came on. Now its been a month and my Wrench Light came on. It only came on twice and has not returned. I thought the Check Charging System light was for the coolant pump, not the wrench..

You need to return to the dealer with this again. The wrench is an important warning light. It may leave a trouble code in the computer. The Check Charging System is for a malfunction of the DC to DC converter which may be caused by overheating due to poor cooling. That cooling system cools a lot of other things; the electric motor/generators and the electronics connected with them.

Edited by lolder