Sign in to follow this  
FFHdriver

Estimated miles that ICE operates

Just wondering if any one has estimated their ICE miles versus their total miles. For instance, If you change oil at 7500 miles how much of that was when the ICE was operating, 4000, 5000? TIA

Just a guess but approxinately 80% for normal driving. I estimated I did about 70% on my 110 mile run that produced 54.1 MPG.

If most of your driving is highway or over 47 MPH, the % of ICE time would be higher.

I have not measured this but would guess that my own ICE percentage (time-wise) would be lower, maybe around 50%? This includes a lot of time stopped at traffic lights in the city, which may not really apply to your rural location. Would be nice if the onboard computer calculated this number for us.

I may keep time on one of my commutes just as an experiment, but haven't yet as I pretty much figured that I would pass the 10K mileage mark before or around the 200 hr ICE operation mark for an oil change.

Sorry - misread your post which was referring to mileage, not time.

There is a way to track it but it is a pain. I only had one to try for a day but they make a wireless adapter that plugs into the ODBC connector. It sends to various devices (in my case an iPhone). One of the data points is RPMs. If you track RPMs you can see where the ICE shuts down. On my commute the ICE ran 60 of 66 miles. That is 90.9% of the time and I was trying to maximize the time on EV, dropping to 45 as soon as I could and gliding to a stop. My guess was that on an average commute drive it would be less than half that. My MPG on that round-trip was 39.8. Just over half the trip is @ 70mph on the highway.

There may be hybrid specific ODBC software but this wasn't. Search for iPhone and ODBC and you can find a few of these apps and hardware connectors.

Jon

Sorry - misread your post which was referring to mileage, not time.