Sign in to follow this  
paulbuck

Battery Fan

I understand that there is a fan to cool the high voltage batteries under the rear seat. Has anyone heard their's come on? I heard a 'whirring' noise from the back, quite loud, and I was wondering if that was normal. Only came on above 35 mph and only when the gas engine was running; if I let up and changed over to EV the noise stopped. Sounded like something was rubbing or the fan, if that's what it was, was hitting something, as it was very loud.

I'm having my 6 month service done soon, but wondered if I could get any thoughts about this from the forum members.

Thanks for looking.

It doesn't sound normal. You might have it checked immediately. This car is normally very quiet unless you use more than two or three divisions on the "PWR" gauge in "Empower" dash mode.

I hear the fan pretty regularly. It is just a slight whirring noise from the front of the rear seats. Usually when it is hot out and I have the windows down (I live in a nice quiet rural area). Anything more than a normal blowing sounding noise and I would have it checked.

Jon

It doesn't sound normal. You might have it checked immediately. This car is normally very quiet unless you use more than two or three divisions on the "PWR" gauge in "Empower" dash mode.

I've heard mine kick in a few times. I wouldn't say it's "loud", but it is noticeable when in EV mode and not pumpin' the tunes :D.

Question and Answer from Owners Manual:

Question:

What is the fan noise I hear from

the rear of my hybrid?

Answer:

The fan noise comes from a fan

located inside the high voltage

battery. This fan turns on when

the battery requires cooling air.

The fan speed, and associated

noise level, will change according

to the amount of cooling required

to maintain good performance.

Maintaining the battery

temperature at optimal conditions

also prolongs the useful life of the

battery and helps to achieve better

fuel economy.

20 hours ago, Raymond J Ramirez said:

The battery cooling fan is actually on top of the battery behind the rear seat back, and physically in the forward part of the trunk. It takes in cooled air from the cabin through two small vents under the rear window, blows that air across the battery and exhausts in the trunk near the 12V batter (driver side). If you can hear the fan, it may need replacement because its blower motor is one piece. The replacement involves folding down the rear seat back, removing the trunk lining covering the battery, then removing the two vent ducts from the blower body, and the blower fan itself. The HV battery can stay connected as the blower has a plug connector. I have the Ford Service manual so I have read how to remove the fan.. The job can be done in a few hours.

On a 2013 and later hybrid, Its actually on the trunk floor, next to the 12 volt battery, drivers side, middle area as shown in the picture

Capture.PNG.27191011056310bdcf29431522343d4d.PNG

Edited by billford