Sign in to follow this  
Carnivore

Higher PSI on tires equals 10% better MPG

I jacked my psi on my tires up to 40 psi yesterday and today I made my normal drive. I was actually stunned to see that I got 46.8 mpg on the same exact route with near identical conditions. :happy feet:

I normally keep mine at 40 psi all around, as I have a 54 mile trip each way... I get better MPG than 32-34 psi but I don't know if it's 10% better, I would say maybe 5% better (over 33k miles I've averaged 39.2 MPG, will inch up a little now that warmer weather is back). In your experiment I wonder if the weather may have also been a player too?

The temperature gradient for mileage is about +0.2 mpg per degree F increase.

That's nothing!~

I just took a 1000 mile trip in a brand new spanking Milan with the 3.0 V6 in it and averaged 27.6 MPG with the stereo blasting and the a/c running full time. Not too shabby considering I had all the power I needed and I'm not a light-foot by no means. Just wait till that motor actually gets broken in!!

:shift: :hysterical:

with the outrageous prices of these tires, I think I'll keep them at the recommended psi...

That was another reason I went to 40psi, to get a more even wear instead of more on the outer edges when down at 32-33 or so.

I drove a Prius for over 120,000 miles at 40psi and the FFH for 36k thus far and after sampling with 32, 36, and 40, I'm satisfied with the 40.

Of course YMMV, each should drive whatever pressure works best for his/her situation.

Increasing tire pressure DECREASES its tendency to hydroplane because it has a smaller footprint: the weight is spread over a smaller contact patch. It also tends to round-out the contact patch, which will evacuate the water better. We increase pressures when racing in rain conditions for those very reasons.

Bob