Sign in to follow this  
bill77ocean

Jerking

Hi, i have the 2010 fusion hybrid, lately been noticing, when at a light and slightly letting off the brake pedal, theres like a jerking or a small surging feel, also noticed that with slight gas pedal acceleration on a hill was same kinda jerking feeling, is this normal? it does not do it during normal driving though....been wondering if its the transmission clutch slipping a bit..was thinking about taking it in to have it serviced anyway soon, but this does seem a bit odd.

Hi, i have the 2010 fusion hybrid, lately been noticing, when at a light and slightly letting off the brake pedal, theres like a jerking or a small surging feel, also noticed that with slight gas pedal acceleration on a hill was same kinda jerking feeling, is this normal? it does not do it during normal driving though....been wondering if its the transmission clutch slipping a bit..was thinking about taking it in to have it serviced anyway soon, but this does seem a bit odd.

This is probably normal. There is no clutch; there is no torque converter. When you have the brake on at very low speeds or at a stop, there is no electrical power being applied to MG2, the traction motor. When you release the brake, the system applies a small amount of power to MG2 to simulate the "creep" of an automatic transmission with a torque converter . Under certain circumstances, you may notice this transition, especially if you slowly release the brake. They system does not apply any voltage to the motor when the brake is on as it would be wasteful. There is also a transition during braking at about 5 mph from regen to friction braking that can sometimes be felt.

Edited by lolder

This is probably normal. There is no clutch; there is no torque converter. When you have the brake on at very low speeds or at a stop, there is no electrical power being applied to MG2, the traction motor. When you release the brake, the system applies a small amount of power to MG2 to simulate the "creep" of an automatic transmission with a torque converter . Under certain circumstances, you may notice this transition, especially if you slowly release the brake. They system does not apply any voltage to the motor when the brake is on as it would be wasteful. There is also a transition during braking at about 5 mph from regen to friction braking that can sometimes be felt.

Thanks for your comment on this, but like i said i also noticed this on a hill at a red light, i was giving very slight pedal acceleration, and felt the same thing with the brake pedal released..but hmmm, no clutches huh, i realize its a CVT, but thought there would be some sort of clutch on it.. but okay

Edited by bill77ocean

Thanks for your comment on this, but like i said i also noticed this on a hill at a red light, i was giving very slight pedal acceleration, and felt the same thing with the brake pedal released..but hmmm, no clutches huh, i realize its a CVT, but thought there would be some sort of clutch on it.. but okay

There is lots of information available about the hybrid Power Split Device (PSD) that many hybrids use. The Toyota and Ford systems are very similar differing mostly in geometry and size. They were developed separately but closely resemble each other in function for the same reason many jet passenger aircraft look alike; the best designs yield similar results. If you pursue learning about these systems, you will realize how revolutionary they are. If you are holding the brake, you can make the ICE start by pushing on the accelerator. This can cause some observable shudder. No hills around here.

My guess, it disconnects the ICE from the tranny when in EV mode. I doubt the THSD doesn't use a clutch type mechanism, it has to disconnect the ICE somehow in EV.

Press harder on the pedal. The computer may not be seeing the brake pedal being depressed, and kicks the EV. It may be something as simple as an adjustment to the brake light switch.

Sometimes at the first application of the brakes when they are wet or cold when you transition below 5 mph, there is a small, momentary discontinuity in the braking action. It usually is not repeated.

Oh you mean that smacking your head against the windshield when too slow for regen and the brakes are real grabby? :) I dont recall the 13 being like that, but man does the 10 like to get grabby! Just touch the brakes going 4 MPH and BAMM your stopped!