wpm1123

Major Issue

My FFH with 6992 miles on it went bad on me. I was driving on the highway when the engine went off and I was coasting at 65mph. I got the engine to kick back on, but then at my next stop, the car went dead. Again, flipped the car on and off to get it going. It did this about 4-5 more times in the mile I had left to get home. At that point I called the roadside assist (normally I would have done it from the first incident, but was in a major hurry to get home where I could use another car). They towed it to my service dealership, where it took them over a day to figure out the issue.

What I've been told so far is that the main electical chord (I assume the one the runs from the hybrid battery to the engine) went bad and needed to be replaced. They had to order the part and I'm still waiting on my next update. In the meantime my loaner car is a F150. I have already put more gas into that in 2 days than I do in my hybrid in a month. The F150 only had 6 miles on it when I got it, so it was fun to be in another new car, but I miss my leather seats, sat radio, nav system, and all the other nice things in my car.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

Not heard of this myself - I can't imagine the high voltage cable going bad, corrosion or a loose connection at one end or the other maybe but I'm just guessing, it could be rubbing & the dealer is taking the better safe than sorry route - please post an update when you can !

The dealer had the car from Sunday until Tuesday a week later, so 9 days. They told me that the main battery cable that runs from the hybrid battery to the engine either broke or got severed some how. They were actually pretty vague in what actually happened. To fix it they replaced the entire battery cable which required taking the car significanly apart and putting it back together.

All said, they were nice in how they treated me and I eventually swapped out the F150 for a Focus (which I will never drive again) for gas reasons. I spent more in gas over 2 days with the truck than i do in a month with my Fusion.

The total cost of the repair would have been nearly $2100 had it not be a warranty repair. I'm glad that I bought an extended warranty to cover the hybrid components should this happen again after my bumper to bumper expires.

The hybrid components (including the HV cables) are covered under the hybrid components warranty which is considerably longer than the bumper to bumper warranty. I hope the dealer did not sell you an extended warranty based on the fear of a hybrid component failure. In the US the hybrid component warranty is 8 years / 100,000 miles.

Just to be clear though I purchased the extended warranty. I purchased it because I got a pretty good deal and have the NAV system. THAT stuff is expensive to repair.

Jon

The dealer had the car from Sunday until Tuesday a week later, so 9 days. They told me that the main battery cable that runs from the hybrid battery to the engine either broke or got severed some how. They were actually pretty vague in what actually happened. To fix it they replaced the entire battery cable which required taking the car significanly apart and putting it back together.

All said, they were nice in how they treated me and I eventually swapped out the F150 for a Focus (which I will never drive again) for gas reasons. I spent more in gas over 2 days with the truck than i do in a month with my Fusion.

The total cost of the repair would have been nearly $2100 had it not be a warranty repair. I'm glad that I bought an extended warranty to cover the hybrid components should this happen again after my bumper to bumper expires.