Sign in to follow this  
seminole90

Oil Life Indicator

Just brought my car in for the software upgrades and its first oil change and have question about oil life indicator. When I ran status report after the oil change it had my oil life at 39%. After the oil change shouldn't the oil indicator read 100%? Would like to make sure so I did not get ripped off by the dealership.

You have to reset the Oil Life indicator. I assume you have a Hybrid, so check page 41 of the owner's manual. You can even select the percentage you want to use, given that 10,000 miles is 100%. :shift:

And some of the resets have to be held for a few seconds. The panel display usually prompts this.

It may also be possible that the dealer you took it to reset it to 40% for 4000 miles to get you to return early so they could be paid to change the oil again. (it has option of setting it based on 10%'s). Now if you had 6000 miles on your car, then it's more likely that the service station just did not reset the oil life indicator and was not trying to rob you.

I just had an oil change done yesterday and they did reset it to 100%. However, they did put a "next" service sticker on the windshield at 15k miles though... I think that was more out of ignorance than wanting extra $$ by a twice as often as needed service interval, because when I came in he sounded surprised I hadn't had an oil change yet and was at 10000 miles. (FFH is every 10k miles for oil change/10k miles for every scheduled maintenance past the first 5k miles to just inspect things at)