Sign in to follow this  
noreast

USB port compatibility

I tried to hook up my phone (which also happens to be my MP3 player) to my 2010 SEL Fusion but to my surprise I found that ford has the square format USB receptacle (like the ones on the back of printers). All MP3 players, Phones, iPods, and iPhones I owned in the past all come with cables that have the flat format USB connector.

I did not have much luck with finding adapters on the net or in my local electronics store.

Does Ford offer a choice of which receptacle comes in the car? Can it be changed?

How do you hookup your USB devices to Sync?

Where did you find the USB-B (square) jack?

My poor dexterity! Indeed it is a flat USB but it is aligned vertically. I was sitting in the driver seat trying to plug in my USB cable using my sense of touch to do so. I assumed a flat USB would be alligned horizonatlly so as I failed to plug in the cable, I felt the receptacle and it felt narrow, so I assumed it is the square type. After reading your post, I went back and leaned across the driver seat so i can have a more comfortable look and sure it is a standard flat, vertical, USB port.

Sorry for the confusing post!

My poor dexterity! Indeed it is a flat USB but it is aligned vertically. I was sitting in the driver seat trying to plug in my USB cable using my sense of touch to do so. I assumed a flat USB would be alligned horizonatlly so as I failed to plug in the cable, I felt the receptacle and it felt narrow, so I assumed it is the square type. After reading your post, I went back and leaned across the driver seat so i can have a more comfortable look and sure it is a standard flat, vertical, USB port.

Sorry for the confusing post!

I would like to meet the engineer who figured that the current location for the USB plug is convienent. I had a very short, (maybe 6 to 12 inches) USB extension that I just leave permanently plugged in. Makes switching my drive, iphone, and "Sync Updating Drive" easier. Just drop it into the console.

And since I am an engineer, that was not meant to be an insult. Just a little dig. :beerchug:

There is only ONE style of USB plug. Anything else is not a USB. Anything different would be firewire, or proprietary. A USB port is what is in the vehicle.

I agree that it has to be on a vertical surface to avoid having things fall into it. I also think the center console is the best place for it since it is completely out of the way and makes for a clean "install" with no visible cords so I am not sure what else the could have done. Maybe put it closer to the top of the compartment?

I don't know about everyone else, but my console if full of CRAP! Sunglasses, some CD's that I don't use because everything is on USB, wifely stuff like tissues, yadda, yadda. Oh, and an iPhone cable, a cigarette lighter to USB charger adapter, and more. Bottom line is it is almost up to the top. Even though my USB stick is only removed to update it, it isn't a very safe place sticking out of the side of the compartment near the bottom.

A better place? If it was on the dash, you would have exposed cables. Maybe the reason for putting it in the console compartment is so you can toss your iPod/iPhone/iPad (nope - too big) into the console and close the lid and fageddabout it.

So, given the fact that it is where it is, the mini extension cord brings it to the top, and there are even two notches so I can leave it stick out to swap drives. :shift:

Mini-B is the style of the USB-2 port on the Sync module.

Why not use a dedicated memory stick and leave it connected all the time?

Because I keep my music is on my cell-phone, which doubles as my MP3 player, and I do want to take it with me when I leave the car.