Sign in to follow this  
Rodeo

Radio comparison, SE 6 speaker VS Sony 12 speaker

Just wondering if anyone had the opportunity to check out the sound quality difference between the stock SE 6-speaker set up versus the Sony 12 speaker upgrade?

I myself don't really want a moonroof and the only way to get the Sony set up is in a package with a moonroof. So, I was wondering if the stock radio would be good enough. Anyone make that comparison already? If so, opinions appreciated.

(Yes, I will also need to go listen for myself too.)

Edited by Rodeo

I have a BOSE system in my Altima and the Sony system is just as good if not better then the BOSE. I would go for the Sony system, thats just my 2 cents.

hope this helps.

I'm 6'3' and must lower the seat all the way down to have head room because of the sunroof. I do not find it an issue.

I am very disappointed in the Sony system. It does not have the dynamics that my Mach system has in my Sable.

I specifically bought the SEL for the Sony system. I do tons of driving so sound is important. As far as car stereo's go I think it depends on the sound you like. Personally I am a rock guy and a former bass player so it sounds great for my type of music. I think if you wanted to listen to a lot of clearer sounding music, classic or symphonic type stuff, then you may not like it as much. For the type of music I listen to it gives close to an aftermarket sound.

Well, I'm the one who started this thread and I appreciate all the answers and input. Bottom line is I ordered a new Milan with the "Moon & Tune" because I wanted the Sony system. Yet, I don't expect much as I honestly feel the Sony system is just adequate, nothing special. I didn't want to get the 6-speaker base system and then need to upgrade it. I can "live" with the Sony system but do know it is a disappointment overall. Those that "rave" about it just don't seem tot know what a decent car stereo system should sound like or never had one as mediocre as the Sony system honestly is.

Or another option. Those of us that think it is a decent system may have come from other vehicles (2008 prius, 2005 chevy Malibu) that had truly terrible OEM steroes. The Sony system is not bad at all... :)

Exactly!

It's all relative to what you have had in the past or what you yourself consider to be bad, adequate or good. That's why there's a few people who rave about the 12 speaker Sony that claims to put out 390 watts (not nearly accurate I don't belive) and those like me who find the system to be mediocre at best. I can agree with you that it's 'not bad at all" but it just isn't spectacular or worth a lot of money either. I have owned cars in my past with stock base systems that come close in power and quality to this supposed top end system.