Sign in to follow this  
CmelChappy

How to complain!

My Ford Fusion Hybrid is really super in all respects but one. I waited six months for my local dealer to get another so that I could compare it to mine. It has a softer ride and no severe jolting like mine. My hybrid was manufactured in June of '09 and the new one, this January, so it appears that Ford has made some changes to the suspension, or else I have a problem with my rear suspension. The new car was more pleasant to drive as all the bumps and surface imperfections could be felt, but less severely.

When I drive over a repair running across the road that has sunk down a bit, my rear suspension bounces and when coming down, feels as though the chasis is hitting the road. I tried driving up a washboard dirt road and had to stop and turn around because the shaking and jolting was terrible. Manhole coverers, sometimes three or four to a block are very disagreeable and tar strips almost the same.

I am sure that something went amiss when they put my hybrid together. I was told the suspension would loosen up after a few thousand miles, but it hasn't, it has gotten worse. My tires are at 33 lbs. My mileage is 3,500 miles.

My problem is how to complain! The local service department pushed me out the door with "don't call us, we'll call you," and FOMOCO's custormer satisfaction department told me, "better luck next time! I doubt if I could qualify under the "Lemon Law" and am in doubt as to whether Ford can make mid season changes without correcting earlier production models. I really enjoy driving my hybrid but weary of having to avoid a number of streets that have surface imperfections. The January '10 Hybid has the same Michelans as mine, so it must not be the tires.

As of now, my only recourse is to grit my teeth and buy a 2011 5.0 Mustang this spring, it couldn't possibly ride any harder and would be a lot more fun to drive. Sure would appreciate any and all imput. The new Fusion Hybrid I drove is really great and with a very comfortable ride.

Out of curiosity, have you ever owned a Mustang or sporty car in general? They typically will have a very firm ride. I have owned one before, and the Fusion has a ride quality about on par. I think it is like the Lincoln MKS owners that you hear on the internet who continue to complain about their car riding too stiff. For most of us, this car has been exactly as we would have expected from a performance tuned suspension combined with low profile tires. I pulled an emergency move just a few minutes ago coming home at night as there was a bumper in the middle of the highway. The car handled exactly as I would have expected it to. I even had a blast on the sharp curve along the Ronald Reagan highway where I zinged by a Nissan Maxima along the sharp curve. He clearly felt threatened as he floored it, and pulled ahead of me.

The point of my ramble is that handling seems to be one of the strongest points of this car. This car doesn't handle like every other hybrid on the market, as it really handles well. It rides about what I expected, but handles far better and more predictably than I would have ever imagined. If the newer hybrids have a softer suspension as you concluded on your test drive, it is likely going to be at the expense of handling. I suspose that if you do not like the stiff ride, an alternative would be to try looking at finding a set of 16 inch alloys from a Fusion S which will likely have a more forgiving ride. I think Ford engineers clearly realized that they will never be able to make everyone happy, and they have done a good job in trying to make most of us happy.

If you are interested in a new Mustang, I hope you enjoy it as there is nothing to hate about the new 5.0 that is coming out! However, with Mustang GT's coming with 18 and 19 inch rims these days, you are likely going to encounter a ride quality that is much more unforgiving than your Hybrid.

Out of curiosity, have you ever owned a Mustang or sporty car in general? They typically will have a very firm ride. I have owned one before, and the Fusion has a ride quality about on par. I think it is like the Lincoln MKS owners that you hear on the internet who continue to complain about their car riding too stiff. For most of us, this car has been exactly as we would have expected from a performance tuned suspension combined with low profile tires. I pulled an emergency move just a few minutes ago coming home at night as there was a bumper in the middle of the highway. The car handled exactly as I would have expected it to. I even had a blast on the sharp curve along the Ronald Reagan highway where I zinged by a Nissan Maxima along the sharp curve. He clearly felt threatened as he floored it, and pulled ahead of me.

The point of my ramble is that handling seems to be one of the strongest points of this car. This car doesn't handle like every other hybrid on the market, as it really handles well. It rides about what I expected, but handles far better and more predictably than I would have ever imagined. If the newer hybrids have a softer suspension as you concluded on your test drive, it is likely going to be at the expense of handling. I suspose that if you do not like the stiff ride, an alternative would be to try looking at finding a set of 16 inch alloys from a Fusion S which will likely have a more forgiving ride. I think Ford engineers clearly realized that they will never be able to make everyone happy, and they have done a good job in trying to make most of us happy.

If you are interested in a new Mustang, I hope you enjoy it as there is nothing to hate about the new 5.0 that is coming out! However, with Mustang GT's coming with 18 and 19 inch rims these days, you are likely going to encounter a ride quality that is much more unforgiving than your Hybrid.

I purchased a '65 Mustang hatchback that was great riding and handling at 3200 lbs. It was not sprung like the modern GT's, but most pleasing to drive. I have learned a lesson about buying cars after finding that companies like Ford are taking family sedans and giving them rock hard suspensions. If that was my preference I would have purchased a Mustang to start with. At age 83, I enjoy a more pleasant ride like the Toyota Avalon, which ranks #1 for full sized family sedans, and does not have a super firm suspension. It comes down to a matter of choice!

I will drive the 2011 5.0 Mustang and if it is worse riding than what I've got, I'll walk away talking to myself. Anyway, the styling of most new cars is so radical that I'll probably go to a car show/auction and buy a fully restored auto from the sixties and seventees.

Thanks for your imput, especially about the 16 inch Fusion S tires.

Edited by CmelChappy

I purchased a '65 Mustang hatchback that was great riding and handling at 3200 lbs. It was not sprung like the modern GT's, but most pleasing to drive. I have learned a lesson about buying cars after finding that companies like Ford are taking family sedans and giving them rock hard suspensions. If that was my preference I would have purchased a Mustang to start with. At age 83, I enjoy a more pleasant ride like the Toyota Avalon, which ranks #1 for full sized family sedans, and does not have a super firm suspension. It comes down to a matter of choice!

I will drive the 2011 5.0 Mustang and if it is worse riding than what I've got, I'll walk away talking to myself. Anyway, the styling of most new cars is so radical that I'll probably go to a car show/auction and buy a fully restored auto from the sixties and seventees.

Thanks for your imput, especially about the 16 inch Fusion S tires.

Goodness, didn't realize you were so old!

My dad just recently traded in his old Crown Victoria for a brand new 2010 Fusion S, which is supposed to arrive anyday now. He has rode in my hybrid a few times and was so impressed by it that he wanted one as well. He went with the S because of fuel economy, and because it is likely one of the best automotive deals on the market when you consider all the standard features you get for that price. He too thought my hybrid rode firmer than he expected, but then again he drives a Crown Victoria.

Either way, I really hope you will like the new Mustang. I am a huge Mustang fan and am so glad that Ford is stepping up the power on that new 5.0. Even that new V6 is going to be amazing as i'm finally glad that Ford is also getting serious about stepping that up as well. I suspect that if the upcoming 2011 Mustang is going to be like the way Mustangs currently are, the V6 will likely have a much more forgiving ride. I have rented a V6 current gen Mustang and was surprised by how soft the ride actually was. The difference is that this new V6 is going to be pretty badass as you will get upto 30mpg, and still have as much horsepower as the original SVT Cobra's had.

Radical styling is becoming a problem unfortunately, as I am not too much of a fan of some of these new age designs that look wierd.

OP - Aren't you the same guy who wanted to sell his FFH because the dashboard lights were to bright?

Now you are threatening the dealer with the lemon law because the suspension is too sporty. Of course the dealer pushed you out the door, you probably complain about something new every week and they are tired of hearing from you. Next you will complain that you can't hear the engine when you are at a complete stop.

Take the hit and trade the car in for something else that you can complain about. At 83 years old, what are you saving your money for?

I dropped the pressure in my tires from 35 to 30 when I first got it home. I find the ride pretty darn good, although it is a bit jarring riding over tar strips and the like. I still get 40 mpg, and the ride is noticeably softer, but the jarring over bumps is still there. It really doesn't bother me, and I find it a decent trade-off for the accurate handling.

Goodness, didn't realize you were so old!

My dad just recently traded in his old Crown Victoria for a brand new 2010 Fusion S, which is supposed to arrive anyday now. He has rode in my hybrid a few times and was so impressed by it that he wanted one as well. He went with the S because of fuel economy, and because it is likely one of the best automotive deals on the market when you consider all the standard features you get for that price. He too thought my hybrid rode firmer than he expected, but then again he drives a Crown Victoria.

Either way, I really hope you will like the new Mustang. I am a huge Mustang fan and am so glad that Ford is stepping up the power on that new 5.0. Even that new V6 is going to be amazing as i'm finally glad that Ford is also getting serious about stepping that up as well. I suspect that if the upcoming 2011 Mustang is going to be like the way Mustangs currently are, the V6 will likely have a much more forgiving ride. I have rented a V6 current gen Mustang and was surprised by how soft the ride actually was. The difference is that this new V6 is going to be pretty badass as you will get upto 30mpg, and still have as much horsepower as the original SVT Cobra's had.

Radical styling is becoming a problem unfortunately, as I am not too much of a fan of some of these new age designs that look wierd.

I was considering the Mustang six, but most of the reviews of the 2010 were uncomplimentary, citing low horsepower and rather poor gas mileage for a six cylinder of around 21 miles per gallon average, not much better than the GT. I often wonder if the testers were wrong or biased against sixes. Actually, I am in a quandry as I find that in my many years of driving, my Fusion Hybrid is the greatest of all except for the harsh ride. Was thinking about getting a set of Fusion 16 inch wheels and tires and moving them to my next Fusion Hybrid. I understand that there are 17 inch tires that would fit my Fusion that have bigger sidewalls, but might rub on some part of the car.

Ford had a solution to the ride problem in the old days, offering an optional heavy duty suspension for a few dollars more for the performance lovers. My '71 T-Bird that my dad purchased new came that way and is not a floater, but feels like a garbage barge after driving my Hybrid. I still marvel at how tight and quiet the hybrid is and in town, I can corner with the best of them.

Wonder what my insurance company would charge me if I bought a 2011 Mustang 5.0. I read where the front bumper of the Ford Hybrid costs $2,245 to replace, so I really keep my distance. Thanks for your input!

OP - Aren't you the same guy who wanted to sell his FFH because the dashboard lights were to bright?

Now you are threatening the dealer with the lemon law because the suspension is too sporty. Of course the dealer pushed you out the door, you probably complain about something new every week and they are tired of hearing from you. Next you will complain that you can't hear the engine when you are at a complete stop.

Take the hit and trade the car in for something else that you can complain about. At 83 years old, what are you saving your money for?

No, I'm not the guy complaining about dashboard lights. You sir, are an ignorant, garbage mouth lout that sounds as though you dropped out of kindergarten and never went back! It's clowns like you that stink up forums. You should quit drinking the coolaide and get a life.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH........there is one like you in every forum, offensive, viscious and ignorant. It is obvious that you turn off what little brains you have when you open your big mouth. I have never complained about anything but the ride quality. Quit drinking the coolaid and get a life.

Edited by CmelChappy

I was considering the Mustang six, but most of the reviews of the 2010 were uncomplimentary, citing low horsepower and rather poor gas mileage for a six cylinder of around 21 miles per gallon average, not much better than the GT. I often wonder if the testers were wrong or biased against sixes. Actually, I am in a quandry as I find that in my many years of driving, my Fusion Hybrid is the greatest of all except for the harsh ride. Was thinking about getting a set of Fusion 16 inch wheels and tires and moving them to my next Fusion Hybrid. I understand that there are 17 inch tires that would fit my Fusion that have bigger sidewalls, but might rub on some part of the car.

Ford had a solution to the ride problem in the old days, offering an optional heavy duty suspension for a few dollars more for the performance lovers. My '71 T-Bird that my dad purchased new came that way and is not a floater, but feels like a garbage barge after driving my Hybrid. I still marvel at how tight and quiet the hybrid is and in town, I can corner with the best of them.

Wonder what my insurance company would charge me if I bought a 2011 Mustang 5.0. I read where the front bumper of the Ford Hybrid costs $2,245 to replace, so I really keep my distance. Thanks for your input!

The current 2010 Mustang V6 and the upcoming 2011 Mustang V6 will be totally different beasts :)

Here is a good article that talks about the technology that will be in the 2011 Mustang V6. It isn't just the MGT V8 that they are warming over, as they are putting in an all new V6 that is unrelated to the 40 year old current Mustang V6 that comes from Cologne, Germany. The new Mustang V6 is going to be pretty amazing as it will produce 305hp and will get upto 30mpg on the highway when equipped with the 6 speed automatic transmission. That is exactly the horsepower output of the original SVT Mustang Cobras that I believe came out in 1995 or 1996. Of course, there is no replacement for displacement, and real Mustangs come with V8's as nothing sounds as good as a nice V8 when you hammer the loud pedal.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q4/2011_ford_mustang_v6-official_photos_and_info

[color="#0000FF"The new, all-aluminum six-pot displaces 3.7 liters, with its signature feature being Ti-VCT (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing), which Ford says allows for extremely precise overlap times during which both intake and exhaust valves are open. Simply stated, this allows the engine to operate optimally for hard-charging acceleration—a handy trait for pony cars—but then become more focused on fuel economy during low-load situations. Redline is now a nice, high 7000 rpm. Also helping in both performance and fuel-economy respects are newly fitted manual and automatic transmissions, both with six forward speeds.

Thanks to a frugal 2.73:1 rear axle ratio and tall top gears in both transmissions, fuel economy soars to an impressive 19 mpg in the city and a whopping 30 on the highway for the automatic—besting the segment’s current mileage braggart, the 304-hp Chevrolet Camaro V-6

][/color]

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH........there is one like you in every forum, offensive, viscious and ignorant. It is obvious that you turn off what little brains you have when you open your big mouth. I have never complained about anything but the ride quality. Quit drinking the coolaid and get a life.

Maybe you forgot about complaining about the dashboard lights or don't understand how the internet works.

cmelchappy complaining about the dashboard lights

There is one like you on every forum also. A whiner.

And you seem to be the viscious one with the potty mouth. I just didn't want everyone to waste their time giving you suggestions when it is pretty obvious that you don't like the car and are trying to find a reason to get rid of it. Just the fact that you mention the lemon law when the car works exactly as designed and exactly the same as it did on your test drive makes that point obvious even to me with my kindergarten edjucation.

Also, I like coolaid!!

I mean the title of your thread is "How to complain!"

Edited by silver FFH

Maybe you forgot about complaining about the dashboard lights or don't understand how the internet works.

cmelchappy complaining about the dashboard lights

There is one like you on every forum also. A whiner.

And you seem to be the viscious one with the potty mouth. I just didn't want everyone to waste their time giving you suggestions when it is pretty obvious that you don't like the car and are trying to find a reason to get rid of it. Just the fact that you mention the lemon law when the car works exactly as designed and exactly the same as it did on your test drive makes that point obvious even to me with my kindergarten edjucation.

Also, I like coolaid!!

I mean the title of your thread is "How to complain!"

You are not only a stupid, nasty person but a world class liar!

You are not only a stupid, nasty person but a world class liar!

Well, if you had clicked on the link and read the last paragraph of your first post, you would see that I am in fact not a liar. But, you seem to prefer to call people names than to deal in facts.

Gotta ask, have you tried 28 psi in the tires and remove pounds from your trunk? The newer one you drove may not have had a full tank of fuel or tires pumped up beyond the factory psi..

Your dealership is your best hope for resolution. When you call the Ford customer assistance center, they forward your concern back to the dealer for handling. I don't recall if Job 2 or Job 3 had any suspension changes. Perhaps someone can check it out? Ask your service advisor to run an OASIS on your vin and code ride harshness (NVH). If there are any areas that can be checked for you, the OASIS report will identify them.

I would be afraid to drop my tires much under the recommended 33 lbs. as it would seem that with sidewalls with such little room to flex, it would be easy to damage the aluminum rims on sharp bumps. When I purchased my Hybrid, the salesman told me a customer with a car with 17" tires and aluminum wheels hit a patch of bad road at highway speeds and came in for four new rims and tires. I never carry anything in my trunk except for an extension cord. The later production model I tried was dealer serviced to 33lbs tire pressure and an empty trunk. I don't think the dealer wants to start replacing rear shocks or coil springs unless they had no choice. I am going to drop by some other Ford dealers within 150 miles and get their opinions. h

I think the low tire pressure alarm may activate at 25% below recommended pressure. That would be about 25 psi.

I think the low tire pressure alarm may activate at 25% below recommended pressure. That would be about 25 psi.

Do you think the lower pressure could lead to possible rim damage. I have read of 17" and larger rims having to be replaced due to severe bumps bending them.