Sign in to follow this  
callawassie

Flip Key Transponder Problem

OK, first the hint to those of you with a flip key (probably bought on eBay). If you have not done so, fold the key half-way shut to where you can see the two small screws that attach the key. Then get some loc-tite or similar product and put on the threads to keep the screws from backing out. I had simply been tightening them when needed, and finally they prevented me from closing the key. That then forced me to open up the entire assembly. The one black screw that gives you access to the battery and circuit board, then I had to pop the Ford emblem off, to remove two more screws in order to get the case off of the key. I then did the loc-tite application, even covered the top of the screw with a dab of crazy glue and after drying, reassembled it.

Now the problem.....I hit the door unlock/lock buttons to check it, and everything worked fine. Then when the wife and I were going out to dinner, no luck. The transponder would not work, and I got the red flashing key symbol. Switched to the factory issued key for the evening. Today I tried reprogramming the transponder, following both the instructions in the owner's manual, as well as the instructions that came with the flip key when I bought it six months ago. Basically using the two factory keys in the ignition, followed by the flip key.

Any ideas? I am confused as to why the remote lock/unlock works, but the transponder will not set up? Thanks.....

OK, confession is good for the soul, but boy do I feel stupid!

I had an email exchange with "Welly" - the guy in Taiwan that sells these on eBay. He suggested that when I disassembled and reassembled the key, I might have overlooked the tiny little transponder. He even sent a picture to help me. Truth be told, this miniscule piece of plastic sorta fell out of the housing. I thought it was a broken off piece - could not see where it fit, so threw it away! Yes, it was the transponder. Welly is sending me a replacement - so my compliments to him in this mess of mine!

OK, to close the loop here, Welly from Taiwan is a man of his word. Sent me a new transponder at no charge. I placed it in the flip key, reprogrammed it in five seconds, and I'm a happy chappy!