Sign in to follow this  
Noel

How hard is the oil change to do on FFH?

I used to do all my own in past years, and was wondering what is required to do this for my FFH.

Noel

I used to do all my own in past years, and was wondering what is required to do this for my FFH.

If you have always done your own oil changes, the FFH is no different except for removing a couple access panels on the bottom of the engine.

There are 2 access panels on the bottom, one is marked "oil filter access" and the other "drain plug access" or something along those lines, and you'll need a couple small sockets to remove those. Other than that, you need a 13mm socket for the drain plug, and a Fram PH9566 filter (which is what I use, choose whichever brand you like). Once done, you need 5 qts oil, I use 5W-20 synthetic and you will also find plenty of posts here about which type that other owners prefer.

If you don't mind taking 30 minutes of your time to change the oil (I always prefer it to get a look underneath), you will find no surprises on the FFH over other cars you've had.

Noel

This is not an answer, just conversation. I just got my FFH in August, and it came with a free dealer first oil change. The only thing I can find about oil change frequency in the owners manual is the maximum mileage per oil change is 10,000 miles. I have about 6700 miles on my first oil so I am thinking about doing this soon. I would assume changing the oil is no different than on a regular car, drain the oil pan, remove the filter underneath, replace the with a new filter, add 5 quarts on top. But I'm eager to hear first oil change experience from others since I haven't done it yet. I am guessing that a synthetic oil might be a good choice for the high mileage change suggested.

Oil change is just as easy as any other car. Taking the oil drain and filter panels off added another step but didn't complicate anything.

...I am guessing that a synthetic oil might be a good choice for the high mileage change suggested.

Ford uses Motocraft Semi-synthetic oil but I switched out to Mobil 1 fully synthetic.

If you have always done your own oil changes, the FFH is no different except for removing a couple access panels on the bottom of the engine.

There are 2 access panels on the bottom, one is marked "oil filter access" and the other "drain plug access" or something along those lines, and you'll need a couple small sockets to remove those. Other than that, you need a 13mm socket for the drain plug, and a Fram PH9566 filter (which is what I use, choose whichever brand you like). Once done, you need 5 qts oil, I use 5W-20 synthetic and you will also find plenty of posts here about which type that other owners prefer.

If you don't mind taking 30 minutes of your time to change the oil (I always prefer it to get a look underneath), you will find no surprises on the FFH over other cars you've had.

Thanks bunches for that. I'm guessing I need some ramps for that. If I used two drive-on ramps, would the angle created cause any issues?

Thanks again,

Noel

Thanks bunches for that. I'm guessing I need some ramps for that. If I used two drive-on ramps, would the angle created cause any issues?

Yes you definitely want ramps... I use normal ramps and have no issues. I got my FFH in July and this coming week will hit 20k miles and will change it again (I change every 5k, just personal preference).