Zack

NAV install?

Hi there,

Made huge mistake by not taking NAV. I am in Canada and would like to get NAV installed. I really want original FFH one, not aftermarket one sitting on top of the dash. Wouldn't mind ordering it from USA.

Any suggestions? Maybe some place sells a kit?

Thank you,

Zack

You could do it, but you would be better off trading in the car for one with it already installed as it would be far cheaper. You would need a new dash harness, dash panels, nav unit, computer, etc. to tie the unit into the car since not only does it do navigation, but it ties all the systems in the car together. It replaces the climate controls, the radio, the satellite radio, Sync, and ties into the cars PCM for the engine and traction motors display. You could easily spend $4000 or more to install it yourself, even more to have someone do it.

If you really want NAV, then I suggest finding a buyer for your car first, then buying one with it already installed.

Pick up a new Garmin Nuvi 1690 GPS for around $500 and put the other $3500 you saved in the bank.

The 1690 does everything you might want, GPS, Lane advice, Traffic delays and avoidance, Weather, Movies, etc. The only thing it won't do for you is adjust you HVAC but then you do have separate controls (like always) to do that anyway, right? You are capable of using the standard dash mounted HVAC controls aren't you? I know I am.. The subscription fee is less expensive then Fords anyway, as Garmin gives you two years free after which it's only $5 a month afterwards. Fords is more then double that I believe.

http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/1690/

But, but it doesn't record CD's to the hard drive!! :lol: :drop:

OK ya got me... SO for another $100 go buy an Ipod and store tons of music on that tiny drive instead and leave it plugged into the center arm rest box.. So now you've spent roughly $600 total and have a Garmin you can take in any vehicle with you along with a nice new Ipod too.

OK ya got me... SO for another $100 go buy an Ipod and store tons of music on that tiny drive instead and leave it plugged into the center arm rest box.. So now you've spent roughly $600 total and have a Garmin you can take in any vehicle with you along with a nice new Ipod too.

I've got one better, a 30Gb USB drive, there is a second USB port behind the console. Load the HD up like you would an Ipod, with media folders, plug it in there and hide it under the console. I have a couple old laptop drives to choose from that work great. 30Gb beat 10 Gb any day.

You could do it, but you would be better off trading in the car for one with it already installed as it would be far cheaper. You would need a new dash harness, dash panels, nav unit, computer, etc. to tie the unit into the car since not only does it do navigation, but it ties all the systems in the car together. It replaces the climate controls, the radio, the satellite radio, Sync, and ties into the cars PCM for the engine and traction motors display. You could easily spend $4000 or more to install it yourself, even more to have someone do it.

If you really want NAV, then I suggest finding a buyer for your car first, then buying one with it already installed.

Now this is scary, makes me give up even before starting. I don't think I need that NAV that badly.

Zack

Pick up a new Garmin Nuvi 1690 GPS for around $500 and put the other $3500 you saved in the bank.

The 1690 does everything you might want, GPS, Lane advice, Traffic delays and avoidance, Weather, Movies, etc. The only thing it won't do for you is adjust you HVAC but then you do have separate controls (like always) to do that anyway, right? You are capable of using the standard dash mounted HVAC controls aren't you? I know I am.. The subscription fee is less expensive then Fords anyway, as Garmin gives you two years free after which it's only $5 a month afterwards. Fords is more then double that I believe.

http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/1690/

Thanks for link, will look into this one closely

I've noticed the price dropped since this new Garmin was first announced. At first, nobody was discounting but now I see it for below $400 already, in the $375 range. I plan to get one of these myself after I order my Fusion, along with a garmin "vent" mount.

http://www.gosale.com/4981920/garmin-nuvi-1690-43-wide?gclid=CJjOi6Wg9J4CFdA65Qoddjg2KQ

I'd like to have a buck for everyone who thinks they can get by with an aftermarket nav and then after they get their new car (doesn't matter what brand) wish they had the factory nav installed and then go through the roof when they find out it would cost them a fortune to retrofit one into their car. I have the factory nav unit, it isn't perfect by a long shot and yes some aftermarket stuff will do more but once you learn the factory system and all the other stuff it does, PLUS no matter where I stop and get out I know my nav will be there when I get back and I didn't have to unhook it, hide it, get it back out and replug everything back in each time I stop. Sure I could leave it home and only use it on trips but there has been many times I have used the factory nav when I really didn't think I would. Yes I also have a Garmin that I use but that is in my motorhome and goes between that and the car I tow when camping and that is the only time I use it. Yes the factory nav costs more than a Garmin but you really don't know the final cost of it until you sell the car. Remember there is a value to it on a car you sell. I just went to the Nada site and put in a 07 Fusion with 33K and the nav is still worth a thousand bucks. My point is I don't care what you get but just think it out very carefully as once you buy a new car without the factory nav YOU CAN'T ADD IT without a ton of money.

Hi there,

Made huge mistake by not taking NAV. I am in Canada and would like to get NAV installed. I really want original FFH one, not aftermarket one sitting on top of the dash. Wouldn't mind ordering it from USA.

Any suggestions? Maybe some place sells a kit?

Thank you,

Zack

Ya get 3 years of Sync turn-by-turn for free, and you have all the music you can eat on a simple cheap flash drive, plugged into the USB port. I really like the turn by turn--esp since I didn't expect it. Plus, it does voice-driven calling, business search, etc. Nav, who needs it!

The Sync turn by turn is not available for Canada, it is only in the US.

Ya get 3 years of Sync turn-by-turn for free, and you have all the music you can eat on a simple cheap flash drive, plugged into the USB port. I really like the turn by turn--esp since I didn't expect it. Plus, it does voice-driven calling, business search, etc. Nav, who needs it!

The Sync turn by turn is not available for Canada, it is only in the US.

Ahh, well then Nav it is :headspin:

I've got one better, a 30Gb USB drive, there is a second USB port behind the console. Load the HD up like you would an Ipod, with media folders, plug it in there and hide it under the console. I have a couple old laptop drives to choose from that work great. 30Gb beat 10 Gb any day.

Where is this second USB port behind the console? I have only ever found the one? Not that I would need a second but just curious.

My point is I don't care what you get but just think it out very carefully as once you buy a new car without the factory nav YOU CAN'T ADD IT without a ton of money.

Well said because you can't add it before hand without a TON OF MONEY either. Ford requires you to buy the "Elecronics package (BLIS bullchit, back up camera etc.) before you ever pay for the NAV itself. Between the Electronics package and the NAV screen, you're talking $2,700 more (list) to the price of the car. That's not chump change..... You gotta really want the NAV screen to pay through the azz like that....

I prefer a plain old map to the NAV units. I took a trip to Minneapolis recently and used a Garmin. It had me going all over the place due to construction. If I had a paper map, I could have avoided all the nonsense because I would have the roads mapped out ahead of time. You can't really do that with the NAV units, due to lack of details. I can also plan a trip out better with a full size map, than to use a suggested route. From Minneapolis we went to house on the rock, the Garmin had me taking all these slow roads. When I got home I pulled out my atlas and discovered I could have taken 90/94 and saved some gas. If I go somewhere now and use Google maps, I run the directions through so I know where I am going, then pull the map and plan my route from there. The NAV units dont really take into account traffic patterns, speed zone and gas consumption, they just look at the least amount of miles.

At least with an Atlas you have less of a chance of winding up an a mountain logging road, and getting stuck for 3 days without food or water.

A Nevada couple letting their SUV's navigation system guide them through the high desert of Eastern Oregon got stuck in snow for three days when the GPS unit sent them down a remote forest road.

Story

I partially agree. I use a Garmin and I have the PC mapping application for it. Before I leave for a trip I locate all the places of interest we will be going to and add waypoints for them (this makes it MUCH faster than address or name searching). Then I let the map app create the routes I will be using. I can look online or call someone I know in the area to get the "scoop" on the best roads and I make the adjustments to the routes. I then save it all to the Garmin and I get the best of everything. It even gets the traffic updated real-time and I can avoid it automatically or (more commonly) manually. When you create routes you have a number of options (faster, shorter, avoid this or that - and Eco Routes which give the best economy based on the data from your vehicle that you can input).

I never actually use the paper map any longer, but I keep one around.

Jon

I prefer a plain old map to the NAV units. I took a trip to Minneapolis recently and used a Garmin. It had me going all over the place due to construction. If I had a paper map, I could have avoided all the nonsense because I would have the roads mapped out ahead of time. You can't really do that with the NAV units, due to lack of details. I can also plan a trip out better with a full size map, than to use a suggested route. From Minneapolis we went to house on the rock, the Garmin had me taking all these slow roads. When I got home I pulled out my atlas and discovered I could have taken 90/94 and saved some gas. If I go somewhere now and use Google maps, I run the directions through so I know where I am going, then pull the map and plan my route from there. The NAV units dont really take into account traffic patterns, speed zone and gas consumption, they just look at the least amount of miles.

At least with an Atlas you have less of a chance of winding up an a mountain logging road, and getting stuck for 3 days without food or water.

Story