Sign in to follow this  
rfruth

ICE temp when fully warmed up ?

My temp gauge on the dash is always near H on the C - H scale (but never in the red, A/C or just fan, no heater yet) - normal ?

Mine's always in the middle of the bracket between C and H and green once it's warmed up. In the summer in Florida with max AC it was still in the middle.

Lee

For a number of years the gauges in most cars have been no better than idiot lights. They are setup to be "good" when somewhere in between the lines and "bad" when outside. They abandoned giving real readings because of the number of stupid drivers who would go to the dealer and complain that their neighbors oil pressure is 5 PSI higher than theirs, or thinking that 100degrees water temp must mean that it is about to boil over.

Given that fact it is hard to know what the actual temperature difference is between the middle of the gauge (where mine sits without exception after warming up) and that yours is reading. Chances are that if it doesn't cross that magic "H" line then the dealer won't do anything. If it was a real reading then we would know if the water temp was exceeding what should be reasonable for the car.

Jon

Yours is either running hot or the sensor is bad. Mine is never that high - solidly in the middle of C and H after warm-up. Better get it checked out just to be safe!

There is definately no harm in getting it checked out by the dealer. They will have a nifty little handheld device that can do neat things like display actual coolent temperature. I have one for my Focus, but it doesn't support any Ford vehicles after 2008.

They may choose not to do anything if their handheld device shows coolent temperature to be normal during normal operating conditions, but why not check anyway?

Just like everyone else who has responded, my guage will sit right in the middle of the range once the engine has fully warmed up. It will sometimes go down a bit if i'm going down a long hill in EV mode, but it never goes higher than the middle.