Sign in to follow this  
aceinc

Vehicle based mileage improvement modifications

The purpose of this thread is to share changes that can be made to the FFH/MH that will improve mileage. While Hypemiling is a good thing, this thread is for vehicle changes only, not driving changes.

If we keep it on topic, perhaps we can get the moderator to make it sticky.

I just bought my FFH and have not had a chance to try any mods, so I am looking for people with more experience to start. After I have tried some things I will post anything worth posting.

Paul

1) Tire pressure. In my testing 40PSI saves about 1MPG over the sticker pressure on the stock low RR tires.

2) Garage. Morning commutes on cold days get about .5 MPG better when garaged over left outside. It will be more when it gets $%# cold. Not really a mod I guess.

Jon

The purpose of this thread is to share changes that can be made to the FFH/MH that will improve mileage. While Hypemiling is a good thing, this thread is for vehicle changes only, not driving changes.

If we keep it on topic, perhaps we can get the moderator to make it sticky.

I just bought my FFH and have not had a chance to try any mods, so I am looking for people with more experience to start. After I have tried some things I will post anything worth posting.

Paul

I've got mine up to 42 psi and it rides pretty comfortable. It also seems that when the engine is cold that driving lightly at about 35-45mph get's the best fuel economy.

Hmmm, I was hoping I would see something here about ICE modifications like cold air intakes or modified headers. These could potentially increase gas mileage and performance to some degree.

Hi Spiffster. This Atkinson cycle ICE is so different from a regular ICE, it's almost a different type of engine. It almost has more in common with a diesel. I know aceinc started this thread for mods and he may be smart enough to figure some out. In this ICE, everything is related. They close the intake valve way late in the compression stroke and blow charge back out the intake valve into the manifold. They use lots of EGR at all power settings. They do a lot of little things when they start and stop it. It runs at very open throttle plate settings (high manifold pressure). Everything is done for a precise reason, mostly to keep the operating range in the lowest BSFC part of the engine curves. It has 20 fewer HP than the non-hybid 2.5 L Fusion engine because of all this and that's what they wanted. Modifying it would almost be like getting into your computer's INTEL CPU chip and tweaking it. (Aceinc may be able to do that.)

Lee

Edited by lolder

Hmmm, I was hoping I would see something here about ICE modifications like cold air intakes or modified headers. These could potentially increase gas mileage and performance to some degree.

The problem with a cold air intake is that the air filter assembly on our vehicles are actually part of the emissions control system. They were specifically designed to prevent evaporative emissions from the crankcase getting into the environment. The 2005+ Ford Focus' also had a lifetime air filter that was also part of the emissions system. Some of the guys are doing some modding and have found a way around that. You might want to check it out although I don't think there is much to gain and could cause all sorts of headaches as you may have to recalibrate the computer to run correctly.

Headers would not be emissions legal, and again serious tuning issues would need to be considered. Considering how expensive headers are, it would not be cost effective and would definately not be legal.

I read a Ford patent from 2002 (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6425365.pdf) about the minute things they do when they stop and start a hybrid ICE. The designers have been taking a microscopic look at these things for a long time. Regarding mods, I removed a whole crate full of parts from a 1973 Datsun 240 Z that had made it run like crap. They were mostly early emissions control devices that I don't think worked very well even for that purpose. Many of us still have the improvement mentality today which is good but I think it is much more difficult today.

Lee

You don't need to MOD the engine in any way, but there are tricks you can do to improve efficiency, the first would be to block off the radiator in cold weather, this keeps the temp up in the engine compartment, so the engine runs less. As someone mentioned before, tire pressure makes a big difference, but too much and you could lose traction. Keep the fronts 2 PSI higher than the rear, and I found 40 and 42 are good numbers on 16" tires, not sure what they are on the Ford, I had a Camry. Another trick, not really a mod though is to get a Scan Gauge II, this will read out 4 engine settings, and can be changed to show different readings, and using one of those you can determine how best to drive the car. A lot of Toyota Prius owners use this setup to get far above EPA ratings on their cars. The difference between the Scan Gauge and the dash on the car itself is the Scan Gauge is real time, with very accurate readings, the dash is not true real time, close, but not exact, it can vary by as much as 10%, which can relate into as much as 3 MPG. Of course if you need to take the car in for any service, remove the radiator block, and the scan gauge, even though it is not a programmer, they may consider it as one, and void the warranty.

By overinflating your tires for 1mpg, are you really going to save money when you have to replace your tires and/or shocks earlier due to the middle tread wearing faster, or the stiffer ride wearing out the shocks?

By overinflating your tires for 1mpg, are you really going to save money when you have to replace your tires and/or shocks earlier due to the middle tread wearing faster, or the stiffer ride wearing out the shocks?

I "over-inflated" my last car's tires to 45 psi for better than 1 mpg return and saw no significant difference in the longevity of the tires or shocks. It was a 1996 Infiniti I30t with 210,000 miles on it and it only needed one set of shocks during the entire life of the car. I did notice a harsher ride with the last car but my MMH's ride seems to not be that bad with the over-inflated tires.

Edited by HarleyJoel

I dropped my air pressure to 30 psi when I got the FFH home, primarily to soften the ride a bit. I know it might cost me in the mpg department a bit, not to mention possibly in tire wear as well, but the improved ride seems to be worth it.

A Tip for the Cold Weather drivers:

Being in Saskatchewan, it's been pretty cold out there. I find that if I do not use the AUTO climate controls, I can get the vehicle to go into EV mode more often then when using AUTO. I have my climate set to 21C w/ manual Fan Control and Windshield/Floor set. I find this gives me enough warmth, and doesn't force the cabin temperture to 21C, which in turns lowers demand needed from ICE, which allows for EV mode quicker.

My tips :D