fsb99

Near perfect (part) drive

Thanks to the infamous L.A. traffic congestion, the freeway moved quite a bit slow in my 18-mile drive...part of it was 20MPH or slower. As a result, I almost got a near perfect 20-min stretch. Too bad my long-term average is not as good. Overall drive was 45.4MPG.

There is a math situation that might come into play in this situation. If you are sitting still or close to sitting still, you may be reading 60 mpg plus on the bars, but if you aren't going very far, these readings don't capture the fact that you will have to make up some of that super mpg when you get back in engine-on mode, and have to recharge the batteries by the amount of charge that was expended running the electric motors, which will hurt the engine-on mpg, hence better mpg on bars than for total trip. Wow! I should get some kind of award for saying all that in one sentence. Friends tell me I talk like that too :runaway:

There are a number of problems with the way that mileage is presented. Clearly the computer is not showing fuel consumed over miles traveled in each case. At some point the computer must be just setting a number and averaging or something. The other issue is that I can start the car hot so that the ICE only runs for a few seconds, then travel about 3 miles on EV only (there is a long gradual hill just South of my home). At the end of that trip what should the mileage be? 0MPG is just as valid as 99MPG and just as valid as 99,999MPG. It will usually show 70. It appears to just be doing some sort of averaging rather than keeping absolute totals. The mileage calculated by my tracking every drop put in the car over the actual miles traveled is starting to diverge from the cars readings.

Jon

There is a math situation that might come into play in this situation. If you are sitting still or close to sitting still, you may be reading 60 mpg plus on the bars, but if you aren't going very far, these readings don't capture the fact that you will have to make up some of that super mpg when you get back in engine-on mode, and have to recharge the batteries by the amount of charge that was expended running the electric motors, which will hurt the engine-on mpg, hence better mpg on bars than for total trip. Wow! I should get some kind of award for saying all that in one sentence. Friends tell me I talk like that too :runaway:

In my case, it always seems that I average almost 40 mpg no matter what I try to improve my mileage. I drive about 75% highway so I'm happy with those numbers but I've seen as high as 45 mpg and as low as 38 on a tank of gas. I've inflated the tires to 40 psi and it still rides very comfortably.

In my case, it always seems that I average almost 40 mpg no matter what I try to improve my mileage. I drive about 75% highway so I'm happy with those numbers but I've seen as high as 45 mpg and as low as 38 on a tank of gas. I've inflated the tires to 40 psi and it still rides very comfortably.

That's becoming my conclusion too, regardless of better short trip numbers, I'm going to average 40 mpg over the long haul, based on gas fill-ups. Inserted here is an update on my gas fill-up data.

That's becoming my conclusion too, regardless of better short trip numbers, I'm going to average 40 mpg over the long haul, based on gas fill-ups. Inserted here is an update on my gas fill-up data.

My gas fill-up MPGs seem screwy too when compared to the short trip computer. Gas fill up records indicate between 38 and 45 MPG. The 38MPG was when I got the car. The 45 was the last fill up. Which is in line with my long term fuel economy computer reading of 42MPG after 6,500 miles. I do not go crazy with the EV Mode, it seems to detract from my highway MPG when the battery is too low.

I have noticed that when I apply the brakes lightly the regenerative green circle comes on but the car does not slow down much. To match Ford's claim of 700 miles on a tank is doable but the concentration required leaves room for little else. The leave thingy is stupid and useless to me at this point.

Thanks to the infamous L.A. traffic congestion, the freeway moved quite a bit slow in my 18-mile drive...part of it was 20MPH or slower. As a result, I almost got a near perfect 20-min stretch. Too bad my long-term average is not as good. Overall drive was 45.4MPG.

Yes, nice one. It's actually fun to compete against the gauges instead of the traffic. I traditionally have had a heavy foot, but I'm slowly changing my habits and trying to beat my records instead of the guy in the next lane. My record so far is reported @ 53mpg on my morning commute. On the other hand, I drove a 50 mile hwy trip like a maniac @ 80-90 mph and got 29mpg on the segment. I love the versatility of this car.

Jack in Ohio

You aren't still using the leaf mode of data feedback are you? I changed that over to the 20 minute graph the first day. I admit to going overboard on the EV mode, in my home development where I do a lot of short range driving, and I have to observe that it hasn't helped my longer term fill-up results, as just reported above. Your 42 long term is better than my 40 at 4000, but neither is bad compared to ICE engine only cars. :)

My gas fill-up MPGs seem screwy too when compared to the short trip computer. Gas fill up records indicate between 38 and 45 MPG. The 38MPG was when I got the car. The 45 was the last fill up. Which is in line with my long term fuel economy computer reading of 42MPG after 6,500 miles. I do not go crazy with the EV Mode, it seems to detract from my highway MPG when the battery is too low.

I have noticed that when I apply the brakes lightly the regenerative green circle comes on but the car does not slow down much. To match Ford's claim of 700 miles on a tank is doable but the concentration required leaves room for little else. The leave thingy is stupid and useless to me at this point.