Sign in to follow this  
FFHdriver

TSB 09-19-1 I4 Grounding Strap

Has anyone had starting trouble and had this TSB done on their hybrid ICE?

It appears this applies to non-hybrids. The FFH has a different starting system.

Lee

It appears this applies to non-hybrids. The FFH has a different starting system.

Lee

I agree on the different starting system, it says this is caused by RF effecting the crankshaft position sensor. I think we have one of those. Wonder what message you get on the dash if the ICE needs to start and it doesn't? Anyone done the throttle body to negative battery terminal ground that Mazda 3 and Fusion I4 owners are doing? The owners say this is needed because the manifold is plastic and the TB 'needs" to be grounded so the drive by wire system will work better. It grounds static electricity that bothers the TB, so they claim. I doubt if it does anything.

The grounding system on the HB is way different than the standard models. The starter is actually MG1 which is integrated into the transmission, which is directly bolted onto the ICE. There are ground isolated parts in the HB for safety, so if you start grounding stuff you might just cause all sorts of problems. Also the HB has a very different set of crank sensors that allow it to stop at just the right part of the rotation for a quick restart.

Jon

I agree on the different starting system, it says this is caused by RF effecting the crankshaft position sensor. I think we have one of those. Wonder what message you get on the dash if the ICE needs to start and it doesn't? Anyone done the throttle body to negative battery terminal ground that Mazda 3 and Fusion I4 owners are doing? The owners say this is needed because the manifold is plastic and the TB 'needs" to be grounded so the drive by wire system will work better. It grounds static electricity that bothers the TB, so they claim. I doubt if it does anything.