Deathlok

Will a smaller winter rim negatively afect handling on a 2010 Fusion Sport?

Was thinking of using winter tires and rims to save my stock rims from the winter beating rims might take.

If I go 17" rims or 16" rims, will that screw up the handling on my car? I know its designed for 18" rims, but there is not much handling or corning going on in the winter.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

'Good site to see the change in speed as you change the tire size, but not sure what that means! Good or bad!

I just though of something. I went to the Ford.ca site and checked the rims/tires of the lower model 2010 Fusions! 16" rims and P205/60 are standard on the base. So those will work for winter rims and tires! :headspin:

I just though of something. I went to the Ford.ca site and checked the rims/tires of the lower model 2010 Fusions! 16" rims and P205/60 are standard on the base. So those will work for winter rims and tires! :headspin:

Might want to check if your car has TPS. If it does and you throw some after market rims on them, you'll get a low tire pressure error.

Might want to check if your car has TPS. If it does and you throw some after market rims on them, you'll get a low tire pressure error.

Not if I tell em to install new TPS on teh rims. :headspin:

The winter tire package that came with my car has BFG Winter Slalom in 205/60R16 size - so slightly smaller diameter. Just had them for a day but they are typical winter tires in the dry above freezing temps that we have right now. Slightly noisier, less precise, but that is expected. I am sure they will be way better than the stock GY in the snow. Those look barely like all-season tires.

225/50-17 will work great on your car. There are at least a dozen different winter tires available in that size. It won't screw up the handling enough to notice, unless you're racing or doing skid-pad testing!

225/50-17 will work great on your car. There are at least a dozen different winter tires available in that size. It won't screw up the handling enough to notice, unless you're racing or doing skid-pad testing!

Thats not what I mean. I mean screw it up perma!!!!!

Thats not what I mean. I mean screw it up perma!!!!!

Update: so far I am impressed with the 60 series 16" rims I got with this winter package. Granted, I am not taking the corners as fast, but the ride is very good and handling is fine for everyday driving. Generally the car is still very responsive. I can't see why it would mess up your car permanently, if that is what you meant.

I'll give an update when it rains or when the snow flies.

I own, err my wife owns, a 2010 Fusion SE. Last weekend I swapped the stock 17" wheels for 16" wheels with snow tires. I was expecting the Low Tire Pressure warning light to come on. So far she has driven over 200km. Warning light has not come on yet. So is TPWS passive and not active? The owners manual seems to indicate an active system.

Other info that might help, we live in Canada, car is 4cyl, 6 speed manual.

UPDATE: We had a couple of inches of wet slushy snow this morning. The AWD Sport with the BFG Winter Slaloms KSI's made it thru no problem. No hint of sliding, spinning, ... Just drove through everything. It is such pleasure accelerating from stop in a 4 wheel drive car and having zero wheel spin.

I have a non AWD Sport with Stock tires. Surprise! they handle snow quite well. I was going to spend at least $600 for a set of Steelies and Blizzacs, but waited until the first snow to see if they were needed, and found out, quite happily, that I don't need them.