Sign in to follow this  
lolder

Oil Dip Stick Flap Cover

Well I forgot and left the flap up and shut the hood. It didn't seem to close right so I shut it again. The hood cracked the engine cover and pushed it down so that the flap wouldn't open without catching on the ignition harness. The engine seems to run fine with the engine cover off which I am now trying to coax back into shape with a heavy weight on it out in the sun. The pressure of the hood on the open flap had deformed the cover. There appears to be no damage to the hood. If it gets back into shape I'll fill the cracks with epoxy.

Lee

Well I forgot and left the flap up and shut the hood. It didn't seem to close right so I shut it again. The hood cracked the engine cover and pushed it down so that the flap wouldn't open without catching on the ignition harness. The engine seems to run fine with the engine cover off which I am now trying to coax back into shape with a heavy weight on it out in the sun. The pressure of the hood on the open flap had deformed the cover. There appears to be no damage to the hood. If it gets back into shape I'll fill the cracks with epoxy.

Lee

Not much help I know but I did the same thing the second week I had mine. I took the hinge off the flap and put some duct tape on it and I can open it and close it now. I have a few cracks in the main part of it. When parts like this become available I will consider buying a new one.

Charles

that flap cant do much, I wouldn't bother with a replacement - I suspect the big plastic engine cover is mostly a safety thing it too probably isn't needed but I would fix it, if someone was hurt cause the big plastic thing with the letters HYBRID on it was left off someone could get sued.

And it is part of the plastic vapor recovery system.

Jon

I've read that it reduces aerodynamic drag.

An update to this problem. My new FFH has been redesigned with just a round hole and NO cover so it is good to see Ford is on top of things.

An update to this problem. My new FFH has been redesigned with just a round hole and NO cover so it is good to see Ford is on top of things.

So I guess that means when mine comes in, it probably won't have a big pretty Hybrid cover? I was looking foward to that as modern engine bays are so ugly these days.

I remember when engines were so beautiful you didn't need to hide them. Some of you guys will remember some beautiful engines like the old 3.0/3.2 litre 89-95 Taurus SHO engines with those beautiful intake manifolds that belong in a museum. The 2.5 litre Ford Duratec used in the Contour and SVT Contour were also beautiful to look at. Then there was the 96-99 Taurus SHO V8 engines that were also pretty.

So I guess that means when mine comes in, it probably won't have a big pretty Hybrid cover? I was looking foward to that as modern engine bays are so ugly these days.

I remember when engines were so beautiful you didn't need to hide them. Some of you guys will remember some beautiful engines like the old 3.0/3.2 litre 89-95 Taurus SHO engines with those beautiful intake manifolds that belong in a museum. The 2.5 litre Ford Duratec used in the Contour and SVT Contour were also beautiful to look at. Then there was the 96-99 Taurus SHO V8 engines that were also pretty.

It'll have the big cover, just not the flap over the dipstick.

Lee