Sign in to follow this  
t-bonedawg

Roof rack

Has anyone ever put a canoe on a fusion yet? I'm going on a canoe trip this fall and I have the only car that won't break down on us. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to tie the canoe to the car because the bumpers are plastic and I Don't want to wreck them. I'm thinking about getting a roof rack for my car but i'm not sure if it will fit good enough to tie the canoe to and still be safe. It's a 16ft fiberglass canoe if it matters.

Don't put a "roof rack" on the car as THAT would look silly. Instead go to a sporting goods store and get a set of canoe pads that wrap around the gunnels (of the canoe) and act as heavy duty pads against your roof. They slide on and grip the gunnels and then you tie the canoe down.

Look here:

http://www.nextag.com/canoe-car-top-carrier/stores-html

Well where would you tie the roof rack down to? Use the same points. Go visit a "U-Haul" Dealer as they have all sorts of nifty attachments, racks and straps. let them give you some good ideas.