radioboy

2010 Fusion HD Radio Option

It's been noted in a few places, including the Custom Accessories brochure for the 2010 Fusion that HD Radio is an option. I have the standard 6-speaker system with Sirius and Sync...and I've asked everywhere about the HD Radio adapter (which is apparently a dealer-installed option)...and no one knows about it. I'd rather not get into a debate about HD Radio vs. Sat Radio...because the fact is, I work in terrestrial radio and like to have lots of choices...I'm just trying to find out what I need to do to actually get HD Radio in my Fusion.

I've called Ford directly...they were confused. Called my dealer first...they're still investigating though they mentioned an add-on from Peripheral Electronics. Turns out that's also what the HD Radio people said Ford was recommending for models PRIOR to 2010. No word on if it actually is still the same solution for 2010. Simply, no one knows. Ford was supposed to have been making HD Radio a factory-installed option for this model year...and you'll find Press Releases on Google that state such. However, no luck.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I checked with my dealer who had their radio service people call me. They in turn checked with some other people who said IIRC------ on my non-navigation car with a SIRIUS and not a SAT button on the radio, a module can be put in the Sirius antenna line to receive the HD signals. Also if you can't tune in say 96.1-2 or xxx.x-2 on your dial you don't have HD. I didn't ask the cost for the module..

My dealer mentioned this as well...however Ford themselves are now saying that that's not even an option. The story from all sides has been murky at best...like there has been a big error in production.

Anyone interested in the HD radio add on, call customer sales at 800-321-6970.. they offer a visteon kit, model hdz-300 for all ford vehicles...quoted supplier price was around $400 for parts only..may be the reason for the apparent low interest..they will give you the parts numbers you need for your specific vehicle...however it might be cheaper to buy a new aftermarket head unit with built in HD..JVC has several models and kenwood has one that fits the fusion/milan..also sonic electronix has a new custom faceplate that works with aftermarket radios on 2010 fusion models..none of the ford dealers I've talked to have a clue about the HD add-on option...

Hate to say it, but that kinda pisses me off.

wow that freaking sucks. and why is that at every ford dealer they do not know anything about their products.

wow that freaking sucks. and why is that at every ford dealer they do not know anything about their products.

That's pretty "par" for the course.

Every time I walk into a Dealership, Ford or other, I know more about their cars then they do.. (Sales dept anyway.)

I'm ordering mid February, so maybe I will be lucky enough to actually get an HD enabled radio for my SONY system? I can hope!

Edited by Rodeo

Anyone know the current status of the availability of HD Radio on the Ford Fusion?

Below is a link to a press release issued on Sept. 26, 2009.

Ford Makes HD Digital Radio Available On Most Products

Does this mean that the 2010 Fusions currently being delivered will have the HD Radio, but the existing inventory won't?

Will the HD Radio option require a "special" package?

Anyway, the local dealer here believes the HD radio is still unavailable.

Anyone know the current status of the availability of HD Radio on the Ford Fusion?

Below is a link to a press release issued on Sept. 26, 2009.

Ford Makes HD Digital Radio Available On Most Products

Does this mean that the 2010 Fusions currently being delivered will have the HD Radio, but the existing inventory won't?

Will the HD Radio option require a "special" package?

Anyway, the local dealer here believes the HD radio is still unavailable.

From what I have read - Ford will start putting HD radios in some of their cars starting in 2011 model year.

From the Detroit Free Press:

Ford to offer tagging on HD Radio

Some models will allow downloads later

Posted: Dec. 29, 2009

BY BRENT SNAVELY

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Starting next year, drivers of some new Ford models who hear a song they like on their high-definition radio receiver will be able to tag it by pressing a button and download it later onto their iPhone or iPod.

While the iTunes tagging technology is available on some aftermarket HD Radio receivers, Ford will become the first automaker to offer it as a factory-installed option, said Jeff Jury, chief operating officer for Columbia, Md.-based iBiquity Digital Corp., which is the developer and licenser of HD Radio technology.

"It is a great complement to the broader application of Sync," said Jury, whose company also is developing the tagging technology.

For Ford, the announcement is the latest in a string of recent advances related to Sync, the voice-controlled telecommunications and entertainment system Ford launched in 2007.

Two weeks ago, Ford said it is launching software that allows licensed partners to develop their own software applications to operate with Sync.

And last week, Ford said the next generation of Sync will allow anyone who plugs an air card into the Sync USB port to turn the car into a mobile, Wi-Fi hotspot.

Ford said iTunes tagging on its next generation of Sync will be able to hold up to 100 songs. Then, when an iPod is connected to iTunes, the customer can approve the purchase and download the songs.

Ford isn't saying yet whether HD Radio and iTunes tagging capability will be standard or optional.

"HD Radio and iTunes song tagging will be part of an infotainment package launching next year," and additional details will be announced by Ford at the Consumer Electronics show in Las Vegas on Jan. 7, said Ford spokesman Alan Hall.

While Ford is the first automaker to offer iTunes tagging, it isn't the first to offer HD Radio. Jury said more than a dozen automakers either already offer HD Radio as a factory-installed option or plan to offer it soon.

BMW became the first automaker to offer HD Radio in 2005 and now provides it as standard equipment on eight models. It is already standard on all Volvo models, too.

HD Radio technology works just like a regular radio receiver except that it seeks out signals that are being broadcast digitally. When they are found, the receiver automatically transitions to that signal.

Ford began offering HD Radio as a dealer-installed option in 2007 and initially planned to introduce HD Radio as a factory-installed option this year. Ford didn't say Monday why that effort was delayed..

Edited by PaulGo

Wait, WHAT? iTunes, and Sync? An Apple product working with a Microsoft product? Oh my, next thing you know, ducks will mate with groundhogs. What is the world coming too!!!! :headspin: