fordfever

Ordering This FFH This Weekend - Advice Needed

Hello,

I was planning on ordering the FFH this weekend to try and take advantage of the $1700 tax credit. The dealership said I would not receive any "legal" documents. I asked if I would receive the purchase order and they said I would receive it when the car actually came into the dealership and we finalized the paperwork. But they said I would receive the DORA.

I thought the purchase order and DORA would be given at the same time.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lance

I don't think they can actually finalize the purchase until the car is on hand

& deliverable. (not sure about this though).

However, I personally would not want to just have a DORA. Having ordered a FFH on

August 7, I was potentially in a situation similar to yours (car ordered before Sept 30 but

delivered later).

Reading the following article made me worried:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/uptospeed/...tax-credit.html

The key thing that worried me was the statement, paraphrasing a tax attorney:

"But in general, he said, purchasing something is understood as having the benefits and burdens of ownership. "

My plan to deal with this was to go to the dealer in late September, put down

a large deposit on the car, and get a receipt for it. That way, I'd clearly be taking on

the burdens of ownership if the IRS happened to audit me.

Fortunately for me I didn't wind up having to do any down payment because our car

came in this week, 6 1/2 weeks after delivery.

Disclaimer: I'm not an accountant or a tax attorney and have no good credentials whatsoever

to justify my advice. Also, I know that my approach was probably an extreme form of "better safe than sorry" reasoning.

Hello,

I was planning on ordering the FFH this weekend to try and take advantage of the $1700 tax credit. The dealership said I would not receive any "legal" documents. I asked if I would receive the purchase order and they said I would receive it when the car actually came into the dealership and we finalized the paperwork. But they said I would receive the DORA.

I thought the purchase order and DORA would be given at the same time.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lance

The DORA is an acknowledgement from Ford back to the dealer that the order has been received and accepted. I'm neither a tax attorney or accountant, but I don't need to be. We have been discussing this issue since they started taking orders on the hybrids. Place a deposit down for the vehicle, $500 is enough (dated check is good), get a dated, signed sales document/receipt (it won't necessarily look like a formal invoice) but should contain your name and what you are buying with the options and color listed and will even have an approximate price from the dealer, make sure he gets a copy of your drivers license, so he can send that in to Ford and do it before the end of the day on the 30th of Sept. That constitutes a purchase per the IRS. Don't rely on the LA times, go to the IRS web site and you can pull up last years tax form and read the instructions and read the examples. Then make sure you get a copy of the DORA when the dealer gets it, and to be on the safe side make sure the dealer understands that you need them to submit the order to Ford ASAP. Dealer's sometimes drag their feet. You won't get a DORA immediately, unless the dealer sends in the order while you wait and some how it is immediately accepted. I guess that could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Then it is just a matter of waiting for the build and delivery. You won't be disappointed.

Went to the dealership today and ordered FFH. White Platinum, 520A, black interior. Dealer said order wouldn't be able to go in until Monday. Hopefully they get everything completed by the end of the month so I can get the $1700 tax credit. Wierd thing was they said they could not look up the XPlan pricing at that moment and needed to come in on Monday to sgn papers before they sent the order in. I feel as if they're setting me up for a rip off.

Went to the dealership today and ordered FFH. White Platinum, 520A, black interior. Dealer said order wouldn't be able to go in until Monday. Hopefully they get everything completed by the end of the month so I can get the $1700 tax credit. Wierd thing was they said they could not look up the XPlan pricing at that moment and needed to come in on Monday to sgn papers before they sent the order in. I feel as if they're setting me up for a rip off.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that prices went up again for the 2010 Fusion Hybrids. The cost supposedly went up roughly $450-500 per FFH.

On July 24, the Hybrid cost went up just over $300. The x-plan price will be on the invoice, so don't fret about them ripping you off. Whoever you were talking to may have mot been able to get into concepts at the time, or needed a manager to verify the pricing before they gave it to you. Regardless, you should be price protected at the 025 level when your order is accepted by Ford. Get a dated copy of the purchase order and check back in a few days to make sure the order was accepted by Ford (ie. verified with a copy of the purchase order and your drivers license faxed to HQ). There likely will not be any incentives om the FFH, so the x-plan price on the invoice will be what you should pay + doc fees of up to $75. Ask for a copy of the DORA (dealer order acceptance) from Ford just to keep with your tax records - it just backs up your dated purchase order. :shift:

I remember the price of the hybrid went up in July, but I believe it went up again just a week ago by $400-500 somewhere in between. When I placed the order for my Hybrid 2 weeks ago with the 502a package, heavy duty floormats, and remote start, the MSRP came to roughly $400-500 less than if I configure a Hybrid the same way now.

Nope - July was the last pricing action. :shift:

Here is what i was talking about. Here is the vehicle summary that I made just a day before placing the order, and another one done just a week ago.

hybridbef.jpg

hybridafg.jpg