bkcarner

Residue or Coating on Dash

Have any of you noticed a residue or coating on the dash? I have a black interior and mainly on the passenger dash above the glove compartment I notice there's an uneven residue that is more glossy than below.

I'm wondering if this is something that was applied at the factory because I saw it in more than 1 FFH that I test drove.

It could be a protectant or sealant but it's uneven across the top of the dash so it's noticeable. It seems like there was plastic or something covering the glove compartment where part of the dash was not applied.

I was thinking of applying like armorall or something but then I thought it would make the dash more glossy causing reflections in the windshield.

Have any of you seen this and did you do something to correct it? If so what?

Thanks

BK

My SE had that same issue. I applied one good coat of armor-all and it hasn't come back. I don't put armor-all on thick normally because it always has something that evaporates in it and it leaves a residue on my windshield.

Have any of you noticed a residue or coating on the dash? I have a black interior and mainly on the passenger dash above the glove compartment I notice there's an uneven residue that is more glossy than below.

I'm wondering if this is something that was applied at the factory because I saw it in more than 1 FFH that I test drove.

It could be a protectant or sealant but it's uneven across the top of the dash so it's noticeable. It seems like there was plastic or something covering the glove compartment where part of the dash was not applied.

I was thinking of applying like armorall or something but then I thought it would make the dash more glossy causing reflections in the windshield.

Have any of you seen this and did you do something to correct it? If so what?

Thanks

BK

Mine was the Xinlon or whatever it was the dealer applied to the entire interior. They said they sprayed it on everything then wiped everything down. Well they missed some spots and it appeared just like residue. Not sure if you got that dealer item or not.

It's probably "cocaine" residue from Mexico. Maybe that's a new way to sneak it into the USA past the border guards by spreading it around the dashboard of your new Ford Fusion. if you catch anyone snorting off your dash, then that's probably it. Be careful about mixing it with armor-all though as that could be hazardous to someones life. This could also be a part of Ford's new marketing plan to "hook you" on their new cars but be forewarned that replacement powder coated dash boards will be quite pricey at your local dealership, although white seems to be the prevailing "asked for" color.

(Disclaimer: For those of you who don't recognize it, this post was entirely fictional and no reference to persons alive or dead were intended. It was meant as levity or humor although we do understand that some are not capable of recognizing this on their own accord. Thank you.)

Chances are it was something the prep guys sprayed as they were cleaning the windshield. Ford says wipe it off with a slightly damp clean white cloth and dry with another cloth. If that doesn't remove it, add a very little soap mixture to the damp cloth. wipe and dry. Or if is a heavy amount of residue, lay the slightly soapy damp cloth on the area and leave it for 30 minutes or more, then wipe it dry with a clean cloth.

So many surfaces are clear coated, you do not want to use anything more agressive than necessary. :shift:

Safest thing is to stop by the service department and let them clean it.

I had that on my '10 Fusion. It looked like silicone or some other substance used as a "mold release" when the part was manufactured. Typically the metal molds used for parts like these are sprayed with something to keep the molten plastic/rubber from sticking to them. I removed most of it by wiping with a rag soaked in the same glass cleaner I use on my windows. I think Armor All on that part is a bad idea. It will make the part shiny, but you really want it to be as non-gloss as possible.

I think the bottom line is the dealer didn't do their job of getting it ready. I will pay close attention to that area when/if we get ours next month as told.