Sign in to follow this  
cdswebinc

FFH 2010 8000 Miles - Brakes Squeak

At 8000 miles, mostly highway driving, my brakes have developed a consistent squeak in slow braking situations. I took it to the dealer once so far and they could not reproduce it. I'm going to take it again and be clearer about the conditions under which it squeaks. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks,

Tim

At 8000 miles, mostly highway driving, my brakes have developed a consistent squeak in slow braking situations. I took it to the dealer once so far and they could not reproduce it. I'm going to take it again and be clearer about the conditions under which it squeaks. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks,

Tim

retorque all the lugnuts because if they are not all the same it can/will cause warping which will cause brakes to squeal.

What are the conditions under which they squeak ?

Neighborhood driving, just before coming to full stop they will squeak (very high pitched). Letting off the brakes to crawl forward and then reapplying them to again come to a stop will squeak. Coming to a more aggressive stop from a faster speed will not squeak.

Thanks,

Tim

I just picked my 2010 FFH from the dealer after allowing them to have it for three days. During this time they test drove the car at various points of the day and under various conditions, checking for the brake squeak.

Happily, they finally tracked down the squeak and have presumably fixed it! Here is what my service report states:

CHECK AND ADVISE CUSTOMER STATES INTERMITTENTLY WHEN

BRAKING. BRAKES MAKE A LOUD SQUEEKING

HAPPENS WHEN BRAKING AT LOW SPEEDS LIKE COMING TO A STOP

SIGN OR WHILE CRAWLING AT LOW SPEEDS.

REAR PAD SHIMS RUBBING. MO 9072

ROAD TEST VEHICLE. VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. PERFORM

COMPLETE BRAKE INSPECTION. R&I REAR CALIPERS. FOUND SHIM

ON REAR PADS LOOSE. RESECURED SHIMS AND ROAD TEST FOUND

OK AT THIS TIME.

It did not squeak on the way home from the dealer. That's a good start!

Hope this info helps someone else.

Regards,

Tim

My 06 did it when it was new, too. I popped the calipers off and used the blue goo on the backs of the pads and it got rid of it. It happens with a lot of new cars. The squeak is actually the pad vibrating at a very high rate of speed. the back of the pad which is metal, is hitting on the piston of the caliper making a squeak. If you mash them where they go tight, the squeak is gone. It's annoying, I know.