rfruth

EV mode creep ?

Even when stopped and in EV mode the car creeps forward, isn't that a waste of energy (the Prius does this so it seems like a gas only car, same for the FFH) ?

The idle simulation (creep) and the engine braking simulation (extra drag when off the accelerator) were both programmed into the system to satisfy one of the main FFH design goals - Make a hybrid that you would never know is a hybrid. I actually like the creep as it keeps me from having to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator to move forward a few feet. I would however like to get rid of the engine braking. I know it recovers the energy but I would like to make long glides easier.

Jon

This is purely computer programming. The car is programmed to "creep" like an automatic transmission car would to make the car more "normal."

The motor is only turning when you let off the brake, not pushing against the brakes.

I like it too and don't consider it a waste of energy since it is only "creeping" when you have your foot off the brake and wish it to "creep". When you have the brake applied, it is not in "creep" mode.

It does more than simulate a gas engine. It will "hold" the car on a hill just like a regular automatic transmission. Otherwise, it would roll back slightly and force you to go from brake to accelerator (It isn't a gas peddle) real fast, like in a manual/stick.

As for coasting vs simulated engine braking, we are all used to the car slowing down when you take your foot off the accelerator. Like if you are approaching a car too fast, etc. My son pointed out that even regenerative braking is not 100% efficient. Well, if you want to coast, just feather the accelerator to the point were you are not putting any load on the drive train, effectively coasting.

All they did was put the "coast point" slightly above the "foot off the gas" point to cause the car to slow when you are "off the gas".