DaveM

Ford Extended Warranties

Kirby,

What you are saying is that you are being your own insurance company, by tracking all the times you didn't buy the warranty, and putting the money in a virtual fund. That plan definitely has common sense merit, I do that with TV's and appliances, everything but laptop computers for my daughter when she was in college, because we came out way ahead with the extended plans on those.

However, I have a friend who had a 04 Toyota 4 runner SUV, where he didn't get the warranty. He takes good care of his vehicles, always maintained and in a garage. At 76,000 miles his navigation system got finicky, unreliable, and he was unable to control his radio and climate control with it. The Toyota dealer where he bought it wanted $6000 for a new one. He complained that he had only paid $2000 extra for the feature initially, and told them to take it out and give him a conventional climate control and radio. They said that would cost even more, because they would have to take the entire main electrical harness out of the car.

He was very upset about the situation, and over a period of maybe 6 months, and working with a different more sympathetic dealer, he got a special one time deal from Toyota to replace it for $1800, which he gladly took them up on. His next vehicle was a Ford product, which he is very happy with, but he did get the extended warranty. I guess my point is that these electrical devices have no easy fix when they go, and they are expensive.

Now I have a question for all: How good are these non-dealer warranties? Does your vehicle still get fixed at the dealer? Does anyone have experience with an actual claim? I didn't get one yet, but our FFH is less than a month old so I might yet get one, and these lower priced ones sound like a good deal.....but I wonder how they are implemented.

I just bought a brand new computer for $450. Parts are even cheaper.

I have saved well over $7000 on my last 5 vehicles by not buying an extended warranty. I'm more than happy to pay $3000 for a repair - I'm still $4000 ahead.

Speak for yourself.

Wow never thought I'd see this, but sounds like you're opening up to the idea of ESPs (price dependent, of course). Look at it this way, you're a big believer in law of averages...you're 5 for 5. Maybe this is the one that pays out? No doubt the previous vehicles were OK due to proper care and maintenance but those electronic failures may come out of nowhere and definitely can make it pay for itself in a hurry.

As far as the high deductible option it is entirely up to the buyer, but the reason I'm buying the $50 option is because I want to fix every little thing that may be wrong before I sell it or before my warranty runs out. Difference of the insurance plans between the two deductibles is about $280. Assuming there is one warranty work that exceeds $200 during the plan (scenario you stated above), you recoup $150 of that difference. I'm sure I'll find something else that may need replacement ($150-$200) that would make up for the rest. Remember, the dealers want to make money too...they charge Ford for warranty work that I request and my portion is $50. I happen to have a contact that works for Ford as a mechanic. I'm sure he can pull a favor or two for me (some cosmetic work etc.).

As far as the difference in deductibles for the most part there really isn't that much. For example 7yrs. 75K 0 deduct=1285 50=1055 100=975 200=845. So between the 200 deduct and the 50 deduct is 210 dollars in which just one claim will almost wipe out the savings. I too will pick the 50 dollar deductible.

That would be a (very well calculated) gamble, and for this particular vehicle I'd say the odds are more in your favor for the reasons you described. And going to a high deductible plan is the right way to go to minimize the overall cost. As you said - the goal is to avoid a $4k repair bill, not to pay for every little thing.

What kills me is when I hear people pay $1500 cash for a warranty, have a $900 repair that's covered and exclaim "I'm SOOO glad I had that warranty!". Dude - you just paid $1500 to save $900. You're still out $600. People just like the idea of not having to pay for something now and totally disregard the fact that they already paid for it previously (and then some).

Go with the $50 deduct over the $200 as one claim will almost wipe out the difference. What I mean is for 7/75K the $200 will cost $845 and if you take the $50 it will cost you $1055 which is $210 more. But if you have one claim you will pay the $200 instead of $50. So now take away the $150 from the $210 and now you are down to $60 and counting. Now figure that you have a repair for $195 you pay it all but if you had bought the $50 you'd only be out $50. So you just saved $145. Of course this all goes around to the will you ever have a claim. Thats the big question. I know I can't speak for everyone, just myself but if I can afford a $30K car and 845 for the $200 deductable warranty I think I can come up with another $210 and get the $50 deductable.

Aren't we all gamblers trying to come out ahead ? (be it automobiles or the deep root feeding of trees or re-grout tile so it lasts longer ...)

So you're a gambler trying to play the odds and come out ahead. It might work out but the odds are against you. Good luck.

I have followed this topic with great interest having been on the fence as to purchasing an extended warranty from Ford. I must say that akirby’s arguments have been enough to push me over the top.

I will be purchasing the 7 year, 100,000 mile, $50.00 deductable warranty. I will be gamboling that by doing so I will keep this thread going for several more days. I haven’t purchased a car in 30 years that hasn’t had two or three thousand dollars of work that could have been covered by the extended warranty if I had the funds to purchase it with the car. This time I do have the funds and I bet it won’t be much of a gambol that some expensive item will get me my money back plus.

I have followed this topic with great interest having been on the fence as to purchasing an extended warranty from Ford. I must say that akirby’s arguments have been enough to push me over the top.

I will be purchasing the 7 year, 100,000 mile, $50.00 deductable warranty. I will be gamboling that by doing so I will keep this thread going for several more days. I haven’t purchased a car in 30 years that hasn’t had two or three thousand dollars of work that could have been covered by the extended warranty if I had the funds to purchase it with the car. This time I do have the funds and I bet it won’t be much of a gambol that some expensive item will get me my money back plus.

Don't worry I started this thread and I'm guessing my car will be here in 8 to 10 weeks +/- so I'll get it going again then :shift:

You've been buying the wrong cars.

I hear that and agree. The cash for clunker vehicle I turned in for my Fusion HEV was a 2000 Ford Explorer 4WD Eddie Baurer ($4650 clunker value including the scrap value), with 186,000 miles on it, that I'd had for 10 years. In that time the only expensive repair I had was a fuel pump went out on the road at 175,000 miles, which cost me one extra day in Roswell, NM and $500 at the Roswell Ford dealer. Being an engineer, I did all the maintance myself including brakes, and nothing was ever over $100. And of course no one warranties a car at that mileage anyway. But that was a conventional technology vehicle. This HEV is a little scary with it's brand new high technology stuff.

I hear that and agree. The cash for clunker vehicle I turned in for my Fusion HEV was a 2000 Ford Explorer 4WD Eddie Baurer ($4650 clunker value including the scrap value), with 186,000 miles on it, that I'd had for 10 years. In that time the only expensive repair I had was a fuel pump went out on the road at 175,000 miles, which cost me one extra day in Roswell, NM and $500 at the Roswell Ford dealer. Being an engineer, I did all the maintance myself including brakes, and nothing was ever over $100. And of course no one warranties a car at that mileage anyway. But that was a conventional technology vehicle. This HEV is a little scary with it's brand new high technology stuff.

I agreee, we have a FFH on order and I'd hate to even think what a new speedo display would cost for that car. I remember the first couple years Prius were out a few members had to have theirs replaced, most after warranty ran out and it was well over 1K and I want to think closer to 2K.

Gambling is when you spend money with a chance of getting nothing in return. Everything else is an investment where you get something back.

By that logic, fire insurance on your house is gambling.