Sign in to follow this  
fun4u

DRL on Fusion Hybrid?

Low-beams DRLs. That's terrible. The low-beams in the FFH are projectors. That means they are virtually useless as DRLs. They don't scatter enough light outside their primary beam to be well seen in the daytime. Factor in the fact that halogen lamps driven at a lower power cause the glass on the bulb to darken significantly and you get DRLs that will actually decrease the already lacking nighttime headlight power.

Jon

Low-beams DRLs. That's terrible. The low-beams in the FFH are projectors. That means they are virtually useless as DRLs. They don't scatter enough light outside their primary beam to be well seen in the daytime. Factor in the fact that halogen lamps driven at a lower power cause the glass on the bulb to darken significantly and you get DRLs that will actually decrease the already lacking nighttime headlight power.

Jon

Wow! That's "eye-opening" if true! Not to say I don't believe you because I do. Poor planning on MOCOs part wouldn't you say?

DRL's could be done correctly and in a cost efficient way IMO - use the parking lights (including the tail lights)((using all lights would imply the rest of the industry is doing it wrong, which they are)) also add a "DRL only" light on the dash - instead we have todays hodgepodge solution which like I said creates as many problems as it solves - this is similar to mandating bicycle helmets, don't get me wrong helmets are great, I wear one *every* time I ride but if worn incorrectly they can do some serious damage - whoever decided to use halogen lights as DRLs at FoMoCo. should be whipped with a wet noodle.

Jon

You may be right, all I know is the DRLs on my VW were low beam projection and after three years they had not darkened and were plenty bright in the daytime. They operated at 80% full power. In 5 years the bulbs on my Buick did not darken.

Shortly after leaving my driveway this morning I got to an inersection and looked to my left. The sun had just come up and was shinning straight into my eyes through my side window that was still covered in morning dew. I could see NOTHING, except two DRLs coming right in my direction. Being the concientious driver I am, I opened the window to make sure there weren't any non-concientious drivers in their non-DRL cars coming towards me. There weren't, so I pulled out.

LOL I detect a hint of sarcasm!

I think we should come up with a "controversial topic of the week" posting. I wouldn't have guessed that DRls would have made it in the list - but hey - isn't the inter-tubes great!

Jon

LOL I detect a hint of sarcasm!

Wow! I guess discussing DRL's is like politics and/or religion. I didn't know I'd stir-up such contraversy.

Thanx to everyone for the honest expressions of your feelings about DRL's.

Thanx especially to Flyboy767 for the Service Bulletin number. I'll try my dealer again.

Of interest is a leter I received from the Ford Corporate Car Safety Director today saying that they were working on finding an answer to my request. Seems strange that the answer isn't readily available to him if there is a Service Bulletin.

I'll let you all know how I make out with the dealer and with Ford Corporate.