Sign in to follow this  
callawassie

Engine compartment noise

When accelerating slowly from 20-30 mph, I regularly get a short shudder or vibration coming from the engine area. Lasts only 1-2 seconds. I'm no mechanic, but if there was some sort of cowling or similar metal cover over some part, I would suspect it. Took it to the dealer today to have it checked out along with my A/C freezing up issue (previous post), and they could find nothing wrong with the A/C, and could not detect any abnormal engine noise. Anybody experience the engine noise/shudder/vibration as I have?

I would think you would know this already... but it isn't the switch from EV to ICE is it? You say shudder or vibration and not "noise" from a normal shudder or vibration - a small shudder which occurs when the ICE starts as a normal part of the workings.

Jon

When accelerating slowly from 20-30 mph, I regularly get a short shudder or vibration coming from the engine area. Lasts only 1-2 seconds. I'm no mechanic, but if there was some sort of cowling or similar metal cover over some part, I would suspect it. Took it to the dealer today to have it checked out along with my A/C freezing up issue (previous post), and they could find nothing wrong with the A/C, and could not detect any abnormal engine noise. Anybody experience the engine noise/shudder/vibration as I have?

Jon,

Thanks, but nope, not the ICE starting up. It is on ICE when this happens. Also does it and is easier to hear when A/C is off, so nothing related there. Think I'll pop the hood and feel around to see if I can find any part that is less than secure.

Switch over to the inform mode and see if the sound matches a particular engine rpm or if it is wheel-speed related. That will help figure out if it is an engine part or body part.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks, but nope, not the ICE starting up. It is on ICE when this happens. Also does it and is easier to hear when A/C is off, so nothing related there. Think I'll pop the hood and feel around to see if I can find any part that is less than secure.