Jamooche

Warm up time before EV Mode works?

I've noticed that when the engine is fully cold, the gas engine needs to warm up so that the coolant temp is between the "ok" bracketed zone on the temp gauge before it will allow EV mode to work.

It does go to EV mode when stopped, or when crawling along, but keeps the gas engine on for any driving. As soon as it gets into the bottom of the bracket, full EV mode works normally.

I've read where people drive 5 miles to work and do it all on EV. Does this include the few minute warm up time? Is this how it works for everyone else?

Thanks,

Jamil

If there is no heat request from the climate controls then the ICE will start after some time or distance (feet) upon initial startup of the car. It will only run for about a minute if at room temp or higher. If it is colder or there is a heat request the ICE will run longer. It also depends on the accessory draw and the battery level at the time. The coolant temp gauge does not necessarily reflect the conditions for starting/stopping the ICE.

Jon

I've noticed that when the engine is fully cold, the gas engine needs to warm up so that the coolant temp is between the "ok" bracketed zone on the temp gauge before it will allow EV mode to work.

It does go to EV mode when stopped, or when crawling along, but keeps the gas engine on for any driving. As soon as it gets into the bottom of the bracket, full EV mode works normally.

I've read where people drive 5 miles to work and do it all on EV. Is this how it works for everyone else?

Thanks,

Jamil

Thanks for the info guys. I read that in the manual too, but it seemed a bit vague.

I have 900 miles on it and am averaging 40.9 MPG, so it's kicking in well enough!

We have one person say that EV is available from the get go if no "heating" cabin requirement is set. Others are saying that gauge on the dash need to have a minimum reading.

The "taste" for a hybrid for me as a VERY short commute (nder two miles) and I was hoping for EV mode as because of this short commute a standard ICE never leaves closed loop.

Could other post up what they see and the "environmental" conditions such as outside temp, speed and distance?

A trick, if it is cold.

Assuming you have the 802A spec, which has heated seats, the heated seats do not place a 'heat request (as it was eloquently stated)' to the system. I have (shamefully) used this quirk to warm up in my car after waking up freezing while camping without starting the engine and waking anyone else up.

So if it is freezing, heat is good. The heated seats seem to do me fine otherwise.

The symbol goes green whenever the computer thinks the ICE is properly prepared for on-demand startup, and this is based on estimated power demand and conditions. The green (vs. white) symbol does not directly correlate to the temperature gauge displayed above the symbol. If you need proof do the following (this assumes a reasonable outside temp, like 60-80 degrees):

1) Leave the car overnight so that it is at room temperature. Make sure you leave it with a good charge (run in park with 15% accelerator to charge if needed)

2) "Start" the car (make sure the climate control is off). The ICE will not turn over and the symbol will be white.

3) Put the car in reverse and slowly back out of the garage. The ICE will start after you roll a few feet on battery.

4) Hold your foot on the brake after backing. The ICE will stop after about 30-60 seconds. The symbol will turn green but the temp gauge will likely not have budged.

5) Switch to D and let your foot off the brake. The car will start rolling and the EV mode indicator will come up but power will be limited.

6) Let the car accelerate but keep it under 10MPG. Still EV mode but cold engine.

7) Accelerate to > 10 MPG. The symbol will turn white again and the ICE will start.

8) If you keep the power demand low enough it will stop the ICE again after a bit. Still very little movement on the temp gauge likely but you have a bit more power available.

The computer wants to keep the ICE ready to go but wants to keep it off as much as possible. The software is very sophisticated about when to run it and when to shut it down. Motive power demands, environmental conditions, electrical demands, and available battery power all feed into the decision making process.

Jon

I read in the manual, and it seems in practice, that the little temp gauge has to go green (the coolant temp is between the "ok" bracketed zone on the temp gauge) before normal driving in EV mode is available.